CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Mary Poulin

Profile:
critique food for the day

I am not on Paleo diet, which seems to be popular in here...but I am trying to eat healthy and stay away from processed foods. Just curious what someone thought of my day. I am female, 120lbs, 5'3. I really don't necessarily need to lose weight...but do have some fat (probably mostly from having babies) on my tummy/sides of my tummy. Some would argue that it isn't that noticeable. I recently started WOD. However, I have been actively exercising for a year now. I went from about 147lbs to 120lbs after having 2 kids/not exercising/eating a lot of junk. Over the holidays, I slacked a bit in the whole eating healthy and I'm trying to get back on track.

breakfast: tried son of groks old world waffles. http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/09/old-old-world-waffles/. I made 2 waffles for myself with the batter.
I put 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries in microwave to warm it up and poured it on the waffles. I did end up pouring on a little sugar free syrup on it as well.

snack: 1 carrot, 1 small cucumber peeled. This was right before lunch actually.

lunch: tuna fish sandwich: can of tuna mixed with 1 tablespoon lowfat yogurt and 2 tablespoons of sourcream, little lemon juice, some spices.
Used 100% whole wheat bread.

snack: had some of my daughters banana cream pudding that we made together. Wouldnt say I ate a lot of it. 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup maybe.

snack: Tried Son of Groks carrot cake caveman cookies. had one of them. http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/02/rec...veman-cookies/

I was determined to try some new stuff...: )

supper: Deli turkey, didn't weigh it...with one slice of american cheese melted in microwave. Served inside whole romaine lettuce leaves (instead of bread). Put a little bbq sauce in the sandwich.
Also small salad consisting of lettuce, celery, cherry tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of house italian dressing. I was too lazy to make my own.

snack: one square piece from a 85% cocoa dark chocolate bar.

This probably sounds crazy, but I think I had a green apple, but for some reason..I can't remember because I KNOW I had one yesterday and I can't remember if I ate one today. LOL.

oh and I almost forgot, had a small piece of crustless pumpkin pie I made earlier in the week. It's just pumpkin, eggs, unsweetened applesauce, crushed almonds and some spices mixed together and than cooked in a pie plate. Combination of crushed nuts, dates, and raisins all sprinkled on the top before baking.

I do tend to load up on the fruit, so I was surprised when I read what I just wrote above and don't see much on there. d.

Last edited by Mary Poulin : 01-16-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: forgot something I ate.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: critique food for the day

I'm not seeing a ton of protein. A can of tuna is a good start, but you should try to get more meat in you

I'm also seeing a lot of substitutes for crap, (the SoG waffles, the caveman cookies, etc.) as well as hidden crap (low fat yogurt, sugar free syrup, BBQ sauce).

It appears that you're eating mostly carbs all day. While you certainly aren't going to get fat from eating carrots and cucumbers...if you just have a little fat to shed (as you say), it will be harder to do so and you're going to have to sacrifice stuff to get there.

I'm sure that you can continue eating the way you're eating and maintain your weight, continue to kick *** at wods, etc....but if those final pounds really mean a lot to you, you need to consider replacing some of your larger carb/sugar sources with better choices. *cough* BREAD *cough*

seriously though: try to eat more protein and fat, cut back on the carbs. see where it gets you.

You also may want to try dropping dairy for a while. I held on to it for a long time (mmm cottage cheese). Once i dropped it, i lost 10lbs of fat in...1.5 months I believe?
Old 01-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Mary Poulin

Profile:

Wow thanks for your response. I was kind of wondering if I ended up eating too much fat with the salad dressing, the almonds and almond meal in the waffles, the caveman cookies - which has crushed almonds in it, the tuna ect.

I was also a little confused about the comment on the caveman cookies and waffles. Son of Grok is a primal blueprint eater and was thinking those snacks were pretty healthy...the ingredients listed in both of those snacks are pretty unique (example: almond meal, almonds, cream cheese, eggs, carrots, little olive oil ect.)

I was also kind of thinking that my protein could of been better today. It's so hard to get it all the protein, fat, carbs ect. uniform through out the day. I'm sure some days I excel in protein.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I'm about your size and would need a lot more food than that. But then, I'm also pretty active.

I agree that protein is lacking.

Katherine
Old 01-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #5
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Poulin View Post
Wow thanks for your response. I was kind of wondering if I ended up eating too much fat with the salad dressing, the almonds and almond meal in the waffles, the caveman cookies - which has crushed almonds in it, the tuna ect.

I was also a little confused about the comment on the caveman cookies and waffles. Son of Grok is a primal blueprint eater and was thinking those snacks were pretty healthy...the ingredients listed in both of those snacks are pretty unique (example: almond meal, almonds, cream cheese, eggs, carrots, little olive oil ect.)

I was also kind of thinking that my protein could of been better today. It's so hard to get it all the protein, fat, carbs ect. uniform through out the day. I'm sure some days I excel in protein.
In regards to the waffles and cookies: I don't mean to say that they are crap, because they're not. You're right. The stuff that's in them is mostly okay. I'm talking on a psychological level.

If instead of eating Belgian waffles and chocolate chip cookies you dig into the SoG waffles and primal cookies because they're "healthy," then you aren't solving the bigger problem of craving sweet/grainy things. Instead you're looking for something that serves as an acceptable substitute to that stuff...and in the long term, i don't think it's really sustainable. In my experience not wanting cheesecake is far easier than trying to be satisfied with "healthy" cheesecake
Old 01-17-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Mary Poulin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
In regards to the waffles and cookies: I don't mean to say that they are crap, because they're not. You're right. The stuff that's in them is mostly okay. I'm talking on a psychological level.

If instead of eating Belgian waffles and chocolate chip cookies you dig into the SoG waffles and primal cookies because they're "healthy," then you aren't solving the bigger problem of craving sweet/grainy things. Instead you're looking for something that serves as an acceptable substitute to that stuff...and in the long term, i don't think it's really sustainable. In my experience not wanting cheesecake is far easier than trying to be satisfied with "healthy" cheesecake

I see your point. Never thought of it like that.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
Mary Poulin

Profile:

I'm just curious, as I don't want to take things too far or be too silly..: ), but i was just curious, is almond milk for example a good substitute for milk in a Paleo lifestyle or even just trying to eat healthy or is that the same analogy where you would be better not wanting those chocolate chip cookies instead of replacing with healthy caveman cookies ect. or even the purely decadent coconut icecream that I hear people talking about in here. Just wondering how far to take that analogy.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
Rick Hardin

Profile:

Looks like a ton of sweets.

Waffles, syrup, cookies, pudding, chocolate, pumpkin pie, etc...

Compare that with the two tiny amounts of tuna and turkey.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
Mary Poulin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hardin View Post
Looks like a ton of sweets.

Waffles, syrup, cookies, pudding, chocolate, pumpkin pie, etc...

Compare that with the two tiny amounts of tuna and turkey.
The waffles and cookies all had healthy ingredients and the pumpkin pie was a crustless pie basically just made out of canned pumpkin, some dried fruit, some nuts, an egg and some unsweetened applesauce. I can see the pudding, the dark chocolate and the drizzle of syrup used....sweet food - but have a hard time calling the caveman cookie and healthy homemade waffles sweet food.