CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-16-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
Ryan Anderson

Profile:
Paleo for college student

Hi there my name is Ryan Anderson, and this is my first real post. Ive been lurking around the forums for a long time, but try to use the search function for most of my questions. This however begins my first situation that I hope you guys will be able to help me out with. I currently am a second year at UCR, and have been doing crossfit since the summer. So now comes my predicament. I am about 80-90 percent paleo during vactions and summer, but am wondering how/ if it is possible to do for a college student. Normally you would think that it would be easy but there are several restraints do to me living in the residence halls.

1. The only cooking device availible to me is a george foreman grill. Do to fires several years back we have no stoves availible to us (the george foreman is technically banned).

2. The dining hall offers nothing even remotely paleo except salads. The eggs are powdered, and its dorm food, pretty much meant to be fatty and unhealthy.

3. fridge space- 1 entire mini fridge

So other than that im up for ideas. Money is somewhat of an issue, but parents want me to be healthy, so are willing to help. What say you guys? Any good hints/ recipes? I cant survive on jerky alone, but other than that am open for ideas. thanks in advance

Ryan
Old 01-16-2010, 02:37 AM   #2
Paul Szoldra

Profile:
Re: Paleo for college student

Ryan,

I'm not living in a college dorm, but I am living in a Marine Corps barracks, so it's about the same. We have a similar situation, and I have to eat at the Mess Hall. I'll try to relate my experiences and hopefully something will be helpful.

The mess hall pretty much follows the USDA Food Pyramid. Breakfast is the only meal that's fairly decent. We can get omelettes made, so I usually load up on onions, peppers, olives, and tomatoes, and get an omelette made. Since they only use two eggs to make it, I have ham added as well (I know it's high sodium and deli meat is not paleo, but it's all I have). I also grab an apple or orange and sometimes I get some bacon.

Lunch and dinner can be all kinds of different things, but I stick to a meat with as little crap on it as possible, like chicken or steak, and then I get a vegetable such as brocolli. I also get a salad (w/o dressing) and some more fruit.

Everytime I leave the mess hall I also grab a couple of apples or oranges for my fridge. Back in my room I have a jar of almonds in case I didn't have enough fat in the meal. I also grill up some chicken and steak every once and a while and store it in the fridge. Also in my fridge is stuff to make a salad and hardboiled eggs. These are cooked up using a small electric plugin burner.

Another thing I have done is bought little baggies and I throw in a handful of beef jerky, almonds, and raisins for a quick snack when I'm out.

I hope this helps.

Paul
Old 01-16-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Tony Sutton

Profile:

Well you have the george so thats great! When I was in school I would buy bulk chicken breasts. You can find a plethora of marinades to mix up the flavors. Also keep an eye out for the discount "old" meat. I usually plan my meals out based on whats on sale. Tuna and sardines are nice protein options as well. Jerky is expensive. I make tuna burgers on the george. If you want a recipe message me.

Keep in mind, the george is awesome for grilled non meat items. I use it for zucs, eggplant, sweet potatoes, ect.

I might look a bit harder at the dining hall to see if you can scrounge anything to atleast save a few pennies. Maybe plain burger patties if they have em. My dining hall had grilled chicken as an option. But definately raid that salad bar.

If you can use a george, invest in a crockpot and now your set. But good luck, eating paleo at school is definately possible. I have less money now then I did when I was in school and I eat well, I am just smart about what I buy.

Last edited by Tony Sutton : 01-16-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
Stephen Yosypiw

Profile:

I'm a uni student too, but I live in apartments now so cook my own meals. I would recommend that to any serious athlete compared to eating in a cafeteria.

As Tony said, tuna is a great option. I'm low on cash, so eat the sale food as well, and tinned tuna, sardines, etc. I recommend the ones in oil, too. Better and has more good fats. Also keep nuts around if you can. Just eat as much meat as you can on your own, and just pile on the salads at the mess hall. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Matt Hitt

Profile:

When you say salads are available, does that mean there's an unlimited salad bar? Potentially with things like broccoli, peppers, cherry tomatoes, etc. on it? Stock up there. When I was living in the dorms (those were the days...) all the dining halls had some kind of quick service "grill" option-if you've got one of those, I'm sure you could get some plain burger patties/grilled chicken breasts when they're up.

Also, if you're allowed to take fruit out, stock your mini fridge with a piece or two after every meal, so you have snacks around. If there's a soft-serve ice cream machine, do they have nuts for topping?

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
Matt Holmer

Profile:

You said that stoves were banned, what about slow cookers?

If you could get one of those, do what I do.

Buy a bunch of chicken breast, throw them in there for about 8 hours on low and shred. Now you've got something you can add to just about anything. Add it to the salads for a high protein paleo meal.

Also, by having a slow cooker you can get the cheap cuts of meat and actually make the edible
Old 01-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Ryan Anderson

Profile:

Thanks for all the replies, let me start by saying that the dining hall does not allow me to walk out with food. So hoarding up a weeks worth of salad/ food is not allowed. They also pretty much do not offer any kind of real customization. No omlettes in the morning, no option to have them grill up a hamburger patty. They do have misc. fruits that they offer thankfully thank i usually load up on, and I try to eat alot of salad, and whatever they have that they attempt to call "meat".
I am interested in the slow cooker idea though. Techically anything with an open heating surface is banned. So no toasters, heaters, foremans etc. However as long as I dont make it know to others Im pretty much set. So my question is this, how much smell would the slow cooker make? If the whole hall starts smelling like actual cooked food, im done for. Also what are some hints for cooking chicken on the foreman grill? I have attempted it a few times, but always end up with basically burnt chicken for fear of salmonella. Thanks again for the help, and hope to get the full paleo going by the beginning of this upcoming week!
Old 01-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
Joe Bernard

Profile:

My dining halls don't allow food to be taken out either, but that never stopped me. If you have banned cooking appliances, why not just take stuff from the hall?

The slow cooker will probably make the dorm smell, it does for mine, but at least it smells good! For the George Foreman, just don't cook it as long, heh. My friend has one and uses it a fair amount to make burgers and chickens and he loves it. He has not gotten salmonella from it and it's been two years, so don't worry if it's a little undercooked, better than eating burnt stuff.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
Matt Holmer

Profile:

The slower cooker is gonna smell. Maybe keep the window(s) open when you have it running? The more herbs you have in it the more it will smell. Doing chicken in water/broth it won't be too bad.

When I was in college everyone smoked in their rooms and never got caught by having a fan in the window blowing out. With all the things that go on in the dorms, a slow cooker should be the least of their worries.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Szoldra View Post
Ryan,

I'm not living in a college dorm, but I am living in a Marine Corps barracks, so it's about the same. We have a similar situation, and I have to eat at the Mess Hall. I'll try to relate my experiences and hopefully something will be helpful.

The mess hall pretty much follows the USDA Food Pyramid. Breakfast is the only meal that's fairly decent.
You'd think that the people who's health mattered most to our well-being would get decent fuel if not THE BEST.. sheesh.