CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 12-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Nathan Krygier

Profile:
Starting Strength - Training For Marine OCS

Posts found here:
http://nkocs.blogspot.com (WFS)

Workout routine

Quote:

[A]
Squat 5 x 3
Bench Press 5 x 3
Deadlift 5 x 3

[b]
Squat 5 x 3
Military Press 5 x 3
Barbell Row 5 x 3
--------------------------------

[Monday Accessories]
Assisted Pull Ups 20 x 3
Dips 15 x 3
Leg Raises 25 x 4

[Wednesday Accessories]
Assisted Pull Ups 20 x 3
Declined Sit Ups 25 x 4
Calf Raises 15 x 3

[Friday Accessories]
Assisted Pull Ups 20 x 3
Bicep Curls 8 x 3
Medicine Ball Twists 25 x 4
----------------------------------

[Sunday]
Interval Run

[Tuesday]
Hill Run

[Thursday]
Timed Run
Old 12-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Nathan Krygier

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength - Training For Marine OCS

From Yesterday...

Today was an interval run day, followed by a circuit of calisthenics.
Here is what I did.

Mile 1- Jog/Walk 15 minutes
Mile 2- 7 minutes 35 seconds PFT pace
Mile 3- Run/Walk 12 minutes

Repeat 3 times with as little rest as possible:

15 push ups
25 sit ups
15 mountain climbers
15 squats

I have my 1 mile down to 7 minutes and 35 seconds now! I was dead after I did it, but I still did it. This is a good sign because I am making extremely quick progress. Just two months ago, I was running a near 9 minute mile. I am nearing my goal PFT pace of a 6 minute mile. This means that I have shaved off about 82 seconds off of my run time. I have to shave an additional 95 seconds off of my 1 mile to reach a perfect pace.

The circuit was good. The sit ups were giving me problems though today, my lower back was starting to hurt after about 10 sit ups.

Tomorrow I do workout A.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Nathan Krygier

Profile:

Just finished having my post work out meal, a chicken breast and a healthy heap of brown rice Gotta have those post work out carbs! Got a nice shake from the gym too right after I got off the gym floor. 2 scoops chocolate peanut butter muscle milk, 1 scoop of whey protein, a table spoon of peanut butter and a banana. Gym still doesn't have weight gainer or creatine.

It was a good first work out for this workout plan. I got my major lifts done without any trouble, found weights that I can start with, and the stations were open when I wanted them. My squats were done correctly as well, nice and deep.

Squat 5 x 3 @ 165 lbs
Bench 5 x 3 @ 155 lbs
Dead lift 5 x 3 @ 205 lbs

Dips 10, 5, 4
Assisted Wide Grip Pull Ups 8, 5, 5 @ 70 lbs help
Cable Crunch 8 x 3 @ 90 lbs

Next A workout, I will continue to figure out the weights. I did do a couple of practice sets to find those weight, so I did extra work before my lifts. For the squat I am hoping to up that to 175 and the bench to 165.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I don't know if you're looking for unsolicited advice, but once you add all that extra stuff to the SS program, it's no longer the program. SS is effective because it allows you to maintain linear progression due to its simplicity and the fact that you're not overtraining. Assistance exercises are only recommended for advanced lifters or once you've hit a plateau on your linear progression.

If you're still trying to get in better PFT shape, SS is probably not the program for you. It's great for getting big and strong but doesn't really care whether you can run or not. Judging by your lift numbers, you will likely see improvements across the board from doing CF.com--I would try that for a while, then if your CF performance is still being limited by lack of strength, look at a CFWF or CFSB type program.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
Nathan Krygier

Profile:

I would do normal wide grip pull ups, but I can only do like 3 lol.
Im using the machine to help me work my back muscles more until I can do atleast 6 or 7.

I still do normal chin ups at home, which are way easier for me.

I did a couple cross fit work outs and found they were too hard to do at the gym. Too many people around, cant always get the weights when I would need them, etc.

I forgot where I read, I think maybe at tmuscle.com that I can add a couple accessory exercises after the main lifts if I want.

I should still make gains if I do a couple extra exercises afterward.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Nathan Krygier

Profile:

I cant find WODS for the cross fit WT or cross fit SB.
The WODS at cross fit SB look like the exact same as the main cross fit.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

CFWF (WFS) Strength work on basic barbell lifts on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, and a short metcon (6-10 mins) on Tuesday and Friday. Rep schemes are set: for squats, presses, and bench it's 5x3 sets across, for power clean it's 3x5 sets across, and deadlift it's 5x1, aiming to go up 5-10lbs on each lift for each subsequent workout. Metcons are up to your own creativity, but you want to be smart enough not to do something that's going to mess up your next strength day.

CFSB (WFS) Metcons five days a week, and strength work on four of those days. Also includes gymnastics skill work. CFSB gives you a little more latitude to vary rep schemes from 3x5 to 5x3 to 3x3 to high rep (15-20) on occasion. Metcons are pretty much up to you here also, though they have recommended lengths listed.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
Nathan Krygier

Profile:

I like these because there will alway be strength work programmed into it that doesnt change, and also its not rushed. I just dont feel like im at a level of experience that would allow busting out olympic lifts for time with a respectable weight.

And I hear ya on the issue that starting strength doesn't care if I run. My quads and glutes would hate me if I busted out a 5k right now haha. Im going to look at these programs and see if there is a way I can schedule it so that I do squats and dead lifts at the very end of the week so I can rest them, and the first part of the week can be for metcon, other lifts and running.

Metcon is basically a crossfit workout right?

Last edited by Nathan Krygier : 12-08-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
Nathan Krygier

Profile:

Woah, the glutes, hams and quads are hating me!
No activity for today, just a lot of healthy eating to give my muscles the fuel they are dying for! I will continue tomorrow as long as the muscles say it is okay. Train hard, but train smart!

Also I just purchased a work out plan intended to get OCS candidates, and Marines attending TBS (The Basic School)into shape. It is written by Stew Smith who is a former Navy SEAL. It looks NUTS! It is six weeks long, and includes numerous ruck marches. The final day is 3 mile run, a 1000 meter swim, 200 push ups, 250 sit ups, and a 15 mile ruck march with a 40lb pack. The program includes a day where I run 6 miles and swim 500 meters, a day where I do 100 pull ups, 300 push ups, 500 sit ups and 200 dips. All I can say is holy crap, if I am able to do all of that after six weeks, it will be well worth the $15.00 it cost.

So I will continue the strength programming until December 21st, which should allow me to add between 20-40 lbs to each lift. So the goals look like this:

Squats: 5 x 3 at 185-205 lbs
Dead lifts: 5 x 3 at 225-245 lbs
Bench Press: 5 x 3 at 175-195 lbs

*** a note to Eric, the plan also allows for discretionary workouts, and does include lifting days, in case you were wondering. So I can use them to maintain my strength progress.