CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-12-2005, 09:15 AM   #1
John Walsh

Profile:
What’s the utility of the Bent Press for sports performance? Do people utilize this in their routines? I learned two things doing these the other day. One, they are not the exercise to do when rehabbing the lower back. Two, it’s a very slow lift. Very slow.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
Jason Berger

Profile:

I like them because they work the obliques in a dynamic way. The last few times I did them I'd have a heavy DB on the floor and grab it at the lowest point in the bent press. Then I stand up with both weights and do DB curls with the weight from the floor, still holding the barbell overhead. It just added another dimension to full-body control.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
Brian Hand

Profile:

John, I learned it's a good movement to jump right into if you're looking to take a few days off. I think the thing to do is work up to it slowly and prepare with some one hand overhead squats and windmills.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:02 AM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I don't think it's very good for sports performance, but it's a good exercise for combining strength and flexibility. It can actually be a fast lift, once you get used to it. You can drop, fast, under the weight, then the press, if heavy, of course is slow.

I think it was mostly used as an exhibition exercise, as you can get an enormous amount of weight overhead, but only if you are good at the technique. Bob Hoffman listed 225 as the Gold Standard. That is a lot of weight. Saxon was 370-ish.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:45 AM   #5
Ryan Abbott

Profile:
In the places that I have seen it referenced it is usually in relation to old time strong men. I think Barry has it right.

Oh, and it's definitely more effective with a kettlebell....

just kidding, most pictures show people using a barbell.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:47 AM   #6
Ryan Abbott

Profile:
Now that I think about it, though the move may not necessarily aid in sports performance it appears to make you stronger in a rather unusual position; this might make it good for injury prevention, sports related or otherwise.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:31 PM   #7
Charlie Reid

Profile:
I think the bent press is very 'gymnastic' in it's ability to teach tension, enforce flexibility and develop concentration. From an athletic standpoint i agree that it doesnt have much of a place, but it looks cool and is great for enforcing one's ability to create tension over an extended amount of time.

It's one of those "what muscle does that work?" type of exercises that people will probe you about in commercial gyms. I usually throw the Bent Press on my left pinky days, right after the previous day of Back and Bi's=)