CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-17-2005, 01:23 PM   #1
Kevin Anderson

Profile:
I stumbled upon a local Olympic Weightlifting Gym the other day and today I had my first workout. Up to now I've been doing these in seclusion in my garage. Apparently completely wrong as well. It was like having your first golf lesson. I've read lots of stuff on this site but I think it is really going to help to have some hands on instruction. I am planning on going twice a week for a while and see how things progress. The first major flaw that was pointed out to me was that I am not hitting myself with the bar during the explosive part of the lifts and therefore not getting any pop to shoot the bar up. Anyway, well see how it goes. The gym is co-owned by former Belarus olympian Oleg Kechko who wasn't there today. An interesting side story...I was waiting for the coach to get there and checked next door with the adjoining business and talked with a guy who deadlifted 798 lbs at a BW of 220 name Joe Hood. He was a real nice guy and friends with Oleg. He had a gym at his Chiropractic office and offered to let me workout as I waited.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:07 AM   #2
Sonia Ng

Profile:

Definitely...
Old 05-18-2005, 08:48 AM   #3
Brian Gibson

Profile:
That's great.

I wish there was somewhere around here to get that kind of instruction.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
Troy Archie

Profile:
I envy you. I get so frustrated when doing snatches with any amount of weight that I end up just doing them with a broom stick and tell myself that I'm slowly making progress.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:45 AM   #5
Kevin Anderson

Profile:
Over the past year I may have been doing the moves incorrectly but I don't think it has been a waste. I've developed flexibility, stability, strength and had lots of good workouts. I think I have missed out on the explosiveness that a properly performed snatch can develop. Atleast I hope so because that is what I'm after.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:49 PM   #6
Tim Johnson

Profile:
I just met with a certified weightlifting coach today for the first time. I just posted "looking for a coach" on goheavy.com.
He's free, he competes, and has a set up in his garage. My form is bad, naturally. You just can't go do these lifts, like we all do, they are very technical, afterall.
Anyway, I suggest you post like I do and see if anyone responds.
I may just get into this and compete once I get the technique down.

Old 05-18-2005, 09:37 PM   #7
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I'd definitely take the opportunity!

I have a feeling that poor form in trying to OH squat and snatch may be what led to my current knee problem and as soon as I can train again i'm headed for the nearest coach to get my stuff sorted.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:38 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
congrats Tim. And for anyone else looking for some instruction, post on http://goheavy.com/forums/olympic/ and ask, there are willing coaches everywhere...
Old 05-21-2005, 06:35 AM   #9
Mike Burgener

Profile:
kevin anderson...i know oleg...he is a bulldog of an oly lifter...wow...i think you are in for a real treat. is former wife ursla is also a great lifter. you must be in austin, tx. one word of caution, you do not hit yourself with the bar during the explosive portion of the lift. you bring the bar to your hips where the bar will brush as high on the thigh/hips as you can then explode. have some fun and let us know how you are doing. coach b
Old 05-24-2005, 01:09 PM   #10
Tim Johnson

Profile:
That hitting on the hips thing is tricky. You have to watch for your...um, package, and make sure it's out of the way.

The first thing is your grip width. If you have the right grip it helps. Go too narrow and you're gonna pop the bar right where it hurts.