CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
Jim Colby

Profile:
Getting Back in Shape

Hey all...first post here!
Quck background/fitness goals: 48/M in NJ. In great shape until about 10 yrs ago (2:30 olympic tri, etc.). Then changed jobs, tore achilles tendon in '02, tore bicep tendon (freak accident) in '06 and got out of shape. Went from 170# to 205#. Legs/cardio/core are pretty good now from biking to work (20 mi. round trip) and training for skiing, but my upper body has suffered since the bicep injury. I also need to lose weight and work on shoulder flexibility. I started cross-fit on June 14th and was disgusted to only be able to do 3 pull-ups (I'm up to 11 now). My goals are to improve all-around fitness, lose weight, prepare for the forthcoming ski season and start competing in Olympic distance tri's again next summer.

Could there be a better WOD to kick this thread off with than "Fight Gone Bad"? I don't think so. I didn't scale the workout, but had to modify it a bit, since I don't have a rowing machine and didn't want to run back and forth from the basement to the driveway to do wall balls. I substituted 40 lb thrusters (with 20 lb dumbells) for the wall balls and substituted GPS hurdles for the rowing. GPS (Gauntlet of Pain and Suffering) hurdles is one of my favorite ski work-outs and entails lining up 12" hurdles end-to-end in a zig-zag slalom course down the length of my basement. Two jumps (one left and one right) counts as one point.

Round 1: 97 pts., Round 2: 98 pts., Round 3: 80 pts. for a total score of 275.

The GPS hurdles turned out to be a killer way to end each round and pukie was staring me down at the end of my last gauntet (he snuck up on me pretty quickly!). Thankfully the time ran out just in the nick of time. I think this was the hardest work-out I've done to date since starting X-fit. I had to lay down on the floor for about 5 minutes before getting up. I really like the work-out!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Jim Colby

Profile:
Re: Getting Back in Shape

The day before vacation is always tough! I never seem to be able to leave the office on schedule and then I have to go home and pack. I almost bailed on today's workout, but sucked it up and went to the Y at 9 pm on an empty stomach (no rowing machine at home). Luckily, I found a vacant C2 rower (there are only 2) and a vacant treadmill right behind it, put my towel on the rower, placed my water bottle on the treadmill and asked the attendant if I could have both for about 20 mins.

I did the normal CrossFit warm-up but, like most days, added push-ups forgetting that burpees include a push-up. Like the WOD wasn't already hard enough!

I completed the WOD as prescribed: 3 rounds x 500M row, 21 burpees, 400M run.

Total time: 21:22, HR: 147-152 on C2, 157-165 for burpees, 156-162 on run.

Holy crap, the burpees sucked! This is where my newbie status made it's presence known. I was doing them 3-at-a-time during the last round.

Tomorrow I'm off on the first leg (a drive from NJ to Toronto) of my fishing trip with my family to the Ogoki Reservoir NE of Lake Nipigon for some Walleye fishing. I hope to attempt some scaled version of the pull-up WOD before I leave. Since I'm not a morning person, it will require some dedication to get that work-out in.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
Jim Colby

Profile:

I've been away on back-country fishing trip, so here's an update.
Friday, August 7th - Drove from NJ to Toronto - No Workout
Saturday, August 8th - Flew from Toronto to Thunder Bay. Modified L-Sit Pull-Up WOD. Combined L-sit pull-up work by running to various playgrounds and doing the L-sit pull-ups. I didn't measure the run, but probably ran about 3-4 miles and did 4 sets of 27 L-sit pullups (not all 27 at once, but 108 in total) in 47 minutes.
Sunday, August 8th - Drove from Thunder Bay to Armstrong - No workout.
Monday, August 9th - Flew by float plane to Ogoki Reservoir - Modified deadlift WOD. Deadlifted big boulder 5x5. 50 burpees.
Tuesday, August 10th-Friday August 14th - Fished, ate and drank and had an awesome time!. No workouts.
Saturday, August 15th - Pay-back time starts, 4 lbs heavier. Tabata Something Else WOD In Thunder Bay - Ran 0.75 miles to playground. Tabata workout (41 pull-ups, 110 push-ups, 90 unanchored sit-ups, 156 squats = 397 total). Ran 0.75 miles home.
Sunday, August 16th - Flew from Thunder Bay to Toronto and drove to NJ
Monday, August 17th - 1 mile warm-up jog. 4 x 800M WOD. 3:21, 3:20, 3:18, 3:26. Walked 400M between intervals. 800M warm-down jog and stretch. Almost puked on last 400. Not very good times, but it is a start!
Old 08-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
Jim Colby

Profile:

I've been away on back-country fishing trip, so here's an update.
Friday, August 7th - Drove from NJ to Toronto - No Workout
Saturday, August 8th - Flew from Toronto to Thunder Bay. Modified L-Sit Pull-Up WOD. Combined L-sit pull-up work by running to various playgrounds and doing the L-sit pull-ups. I didn't measure the run, but probably ran about 3-4 miles and did 4 sets of 27 L-sit pullups (not all 27 at once, but 108 in total) in 47 minutes.
Sunday, August 8th - Drove from Thunder Bay to Armstrong - No workout.
Monday, August 9th - Flew by float plane to Ogoki Reservoir - Modified deadlift WOD. Deadlifted big boulder 5x5. 50 burpees.
Tuesday, August 10th-Friday August 14th - Fished, ate and drank and had an awesome time!. No workouts.
Saturday, August 15th - Pay-back time starts, 4 lbs heavier. Tabata Something Else WOD In Thunder Bay - Ran 0.75 miles to playground. Tabata workout (41 pull-ups, 110 push-ups, 90 unanchored sit-ups, 156 squats = 397 total). Ran 0.75 miles home. Pull-ups sucked. Was it the extra 4 lbs?
Sunday, August 16th - Flew from Thunder Bay to Toronto and drove to NJ
Monday, August 17th - 1 mile warm-up jog. 4 x 800M WOD. 3:21, 3:20, 3:18, 3:26. Walked 400M between intervals. 800M warm-down jog and stretch. Almost puked on last 400. Not very good times, but it is a start!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
Jim Colby

Profile:

On the road again and have had a harder time doing the workouts. This time I took my daughter to her first year at McGill. Pretty emotional week.....your kids grow up so fast. On to the training:

Tuesday, August 18-Friday, August 21: No workouts.
Saturday, August 22: Ran to top of Mont Royal in Montreal (500 ft. elevation gain). At top, did 2 min/90 sec/1 min/30 sec double-under/situp workout. 63 double-unders and 129 sit-ups. Ran longer route down hill and through McGill campus. 40 minutes running in total. At hotel, did 12 rounds of death-by-pull-ups.
Sunday, August 23: Got through round of 7 reps of Linda at hotel before having to give up the bar. Doing this workout in a public place with one bar is a bit of a logistical problem. Took me about 25 minutes. Used 225 lbs for dead-lift (about right) 185 lbs for bench (easy) and 95 lbs. for cleans to focus on technique, which is still less than ideal.
Monday, August 24th:
In Huntsville, Ont.: Warmed up on C2 rower and stairmaster and did partial Crossfit warm-up. Simultaneously did max. wt. hanging power cleans and max wt. push-press. 135 hpc/95pp, 145 hpc/115 pp, 155 hpc(F)/125pp, 150 hpc/130 pp (PR), 155 hpc/135 pp (PR), 160 hpc(F)/140 pp(PR). Never tried max wt. hpc before so I guess 155 is a PR. I need to work on proper timing and technique for this exercise. Seems like I should be able to do more weight on the hpc, given the pp max. After the HPC/PP, did Ryan substituting 10 pull-ups and 10 dips for the muscle-ups. 5 rounds of 10 pull-ups/10 dips/21 burpees in 23:38.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
Jim Colby

Profile:

Cycled tonight in the rolling hills of Huntsville. Not a long ride, but felt pretty good. About 15 miles averaging just under 20 mph.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
Jim Colby

Profile:

Still on vacation in Huntsville, Ont.:
Tuesday, August 18th: Rest day, Golfed 18 holes
Wednesday, August 19th: Cycled 42 miles in the morning - hilly course, moderate pace in general, with some strong pushes up the hills. In the afternoon, went to a local elementary school (where I could do pull-ups) and did:
Walking lunge 100 ft.
21 Pull-ups
21 Sit-ups
Walking lunge 100 ft.
18 Pull-ups
18 Sit-ups
Walking lunge 100 ft.
15 Pull-ups
15 Sit-ups
Walking lunge 100 ft.
12 Pull-ups
12 Sit-ups
Walking lunge 100 ft.
9 Pull-ups
9 Sit-ups
Walking Lunge 100 ft.
6 Pull-ups
6 Sit-ups
10:58 total time (pretty sure its a PR, but my data is at home in NJ)
Set a new PR on pull-ups (15 vs. previous PR of 11 and 3 when I started in June)! I will incorporate some added weight on the lunges in the future because they are too easy. Sit-ups were unanchored.

Lots of good wine and an elaborate dinner tonight!
Old 08-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
Jim Colby

Profile:

Thursday, August 27th: On vacation. Travel day and no workout.
Friday, August 28th: On vacation in Sydenham, Ont. Cycled 22 miles with my brother-in-law. Easy pace, but some nice hills. Last day of vacation. Tomorrow is a travel day back to NJ, but I hope to complete "Cindy" or "Triplet of Pain" after we arrive home tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
Jim Colby

Profile:

Sunday, August 30th:
Back from vacation and time to get back to business again. Completed "Cindy" this morning before going to watch the Barclays golf finals. 21 Rounds plus pull-ups and push-ups. Previous, and only, attempt one month ago was 18 rounds.
I also confirmed that the walking lunge/pull-up/sit-up workout that I did while on vacation was a big PR (10:58 vs. 14:30 in June - interesting to note that the 14:30 was my inaugural cross-fit workout).
In only 2 months, I am pleased to report on some pretty good progress! I also felt extremely strong on the bike during vacation, despite spending very little time on the saddle recently.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
Jim Colby

Profile:

Monday, August 31: I had the best intentions of waking up early this morning and doing the "triplet of pain" workout (thrusters, hanging power cleans, sumo dead-lift high pulls), and then cycling to work, but this nagging cold I have felt worse so I rolled over in bed for a bit of extra sleep. I can always do it when I get home, I resolved. But, alas I had to work late and never got my cross-fit work-out in today.

At least I cycled today, 10 miles each way to and from work. I doubt that I could have performed well on the triplet after cycling anyway.

For comparability purposes, I think the best thing in the future will be to try to complete the cross-fit work-outs first thing in the morning. That way they won't be affected by things like running or cycling before the workouts. Now I just need to suck it up and learn to drag my sorry a** out of bed in the morning early enough to do the workouts!