CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-06-2004, 07:55 AM   #1
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I can only do about 30 push-ups. The other day my friend demonstrated like 100 in a row. It came to my attention that his ROM was far smaller than mine due to his back bending down, wider wrist stance and his chest not fulling touching. Also, he was doing them very ballistically (ie: not fully locking out and so getting momentum up and down).

So what is the standard way to do push-ups?
Old 11-06-2004, 09:09 AM   #2
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Hi Paul,

March 2003 back issue has an article about push ups. Here is a quote:

"An honest push up moves slowly from full extension to a point of maximum depth without "reaching" for the ground or perturbing the body's taut, rigid, straight line posture and return rigidly to full extension. Done correctly, the push up is a super demanding whole body movement - engage as many stabilizers as possible."

So, at least in crossfit, the standard way is the way you were doing it and not the short range of motion your friend was doing. I see this fault all over the place and wonder why it isn't taught better because it is such a wonderful and simple move.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:41 AM   #3
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Beth, thanks. To use an analogy, my push-up is more like a dead hang pull-up and his is more like a kip (ignoring the reduced ROM here). The ballistic manner in which he was bobbing up and down made the movement a lot more rapid so maybe it's simply a different exercise with other benefits?
Old 11-06-2004, 11:15 PM   #4
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
I don't think the ballistic-ness (?) of the push-ups is a problem in itself. If you can get a little "bounce" out of the bottom, more power to you, I say. However, not getting full range of motion from chest on floor to straight arms, not keeping a tight plank position, and bobbing/shrugging in the shoulder joint are all Bad.

Check out the daily photo for October 25 on the front page (or see photo here: http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/Get_honest%20.jpg) for one implementation of a nifty-looking push-up ROM cheat detector.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:46 AM   #5
Dave Clarke

Profile:
So THAT'S what it is! When I saw it I only looked at the little thumbnail picture and interpretted it as a stability exercise, where you put a tennis ball on the seat of a swing then do pushups trying not to let the ball roll off.

Dave in oz