CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-28-2004, 08:51 PM   #1
Edward D. Friedman

Profile:
Any experience / thoughts regarding this system of exercise ? www.heavyhands.org
Old 10-29-2004, 04:20 AM   #2
Brian Hand

Profile:

Edward, it is funny you mention this, I was thinking about Heavyhands when I read the Mixed Mode exercise thread. Thanks for posting that site. I'd say Leonard Schwartz was definitely ahead of his time when he developed this system. A lot of his ideas would look familiar, using whole-body calisthenics and light weights. If he had added interval training concepts his workouts might have been right at home here today.

I remember I bought the book a long time ago and tried it with little 3# dumbbells in my room. I was very surprised at the great sweat I got going. (All other things being equal, a lot of sweating equals more output, right?) As discussed in the book, and the Mixed Mode thread, with the workload shifting all over the body, I was able to do a lot more work.

I tried running with the weights, pumping them as the book describes, but I didn't like it. I only tried the indoor workouts. Boredom is a factor, no worse than the various gerbil mills (stationary cycle, stepper, elliptical, etc.)

Ultimately it is still low intensity steady state exercise, with the limitations that implies. With that in mind it is great for a near zero equipment at-home / travel workout.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:04 AM   #3
Brian Gibson

Profile:
I was wondering the same thing. I came across this website the other day. Thanks for the input, Brian.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:50 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I think weighted vests have more utility than heavy hands. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I think these folks are looking for some form of "pan-aerobic" conditioning which involves the whole body. I think there is some wisdom in this but these folks buy completely into long slow efforts, 60% hr and the like.

I am listening to a CD from Joe Dillon right now (a friend loaned it to me). It is generally good stuff. More or less zone nutrition recomendations but long slow cardio (heavy hands features prominently here) and machine oriented weight training. It is better than nothing but it is a little sad that these guys could, with a little tweak, have something much better.
Robb
Old 10-29-2004, 12:37 PM   #6
Ron Nelson

Profile:
I seem to remember this topic coming up once before on a thread and the response was pretty much this: Not enough weight to benefit the anaerobic; too much weight to interfere with aerobic.
I think the original question dealt with using ankle weights during runs.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:18 PM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
A better alternative to heavy hands might be treking poles. One of the reasons XC skiiing is so fabulously effective as an aerobic exercise is because of all the arm involvement with the ski poles thus incorporating more muscles than just the legs. They don't work very well running around in town, but out in the woods the use of treking poles will add another dimension to your runs.

eug
Old 11-10-2004, 07:10 PM   #8
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
My friend mentioned that walking around all day with wrist weights does wonders for punching power...

If you could get used to do this on most days, wouldn't you end up being quite a bit stronger?

I recall discussing the use of a semi-continuous weight vest on another forum a few years ago. The consensus was it would eventually lead to injury instead of adaptation.