CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
Melinda Caldwell

Profile:
IAFF & Cross-fit

Just looking to see if anyone out there knows if the IAFF is looking at maybe endorsing Cross-fit? I went to my chief for some assisstance in funding for the cert. so I could bring it in-house to the department. His answer was no because either the i-chiefs or IAFF has to endorse it in order for proper funding. He is pretty good and blowing smoke so has anyone else had any experience with bringing it to your department or the union?
Old 01-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Brady Hubler

Profile:
Re: IAFF & Cross-fit

Hi Melinda,
I think you'll find most departments (minus a few on the cutting edge that have adopted CF as their fitness plan) are stuck with a "Wellness/Fitness Program". These programs typically have a "head" who is in overall control, and "Peer Fitness Trainers" who bring it to the masses. What we see with this is the classic protocol and archaic methods that don't get the job done. You know this of course, because you are searching for a way to integrate CF into your department. Find out who your "wellness head" is and introduce them to CF, how it can fit into the Department, cost savings (outfitting each station), FF health, and decreased injury on the job due to a state of physical readiness and true fitness. Believe me, it is hard to turn the department "fitness freight train" around and show them the truth. It is funny though to see that even in these types of departments FF's are practicing CF on their own at their stations.

Good Luck!

Brady
Seattle Fire
www.CrossFitlt.com
Old 01-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Brian Castillo

Profile:

I will try to be short and sweet about situation here. My department "Northwest Fire/Rescue District" (IAFF Local 3572) has left it up to our Peer Fitness Trainers to decide if they will endors CF. Natrually they do not, its seen as a "fad" and I've been called a Fitness Deviant. Hence our workout log title.

I am on the bottom of the fire pole barking up. All but one of our PFT's has rank (the one that doesn't is a lap dog) and abuses that rank when I bring this subject up.

The odd thing here is, our PFT's have never "endorsed" any program. The way I read it is its their chosen responsibility to assist the members with fitness, not to endorse or not endorse.

I would recomend starting with your PFT's if you have them, if not take it to your local and see if you can get enought support.

P.S. plenty of us do it anyway, no one has EVER been hurt from it. And we have guys getting hurt playing frisbee and floor hockey while doing daily PT.

PM me for much more and ideas on how to proceede. Good luck
Old 01-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
Melinda Caldwell

Profile:

Thanks for the info. I'm having the same problem with my local but it is getting better. I did a "firefighter fran" the other night while on duty full turn out, breathing air and made the rest of the crew just watch. First I was nuts, then it got quiet. It was like I knew what they were thinking...damn I can't do that. When I finished with still plenty of air to spare, turned to my peers that "work out" and said, your turn...

I've had a lot of questions about it now around the station. I'm taking the cross-fit cert this weekend and I'm hoping to bring back some sort of presentation to the Dept/Brothers. I am currently the head of the Wellness Comm. (whatever that means) and we are just starting with the CPAT. Cheif is pushing the PFT training and I'm trying to tell him to give cross-fit a shot. Thanks for your help, I guess I'm not alone!
Old 01-24-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
Jimmie Keene

Profile:

I have brought up the idea to our union officials and our E-board members and have not received any enthusiasm towards the idea of a Dept. sponsored Crossfit program. I work for Hillsborough county fire rescue, Local 2294, a 800+ Dept. and luckily I have enough people interested to possibly make a change in the 21 years I have left till retirement. We will see.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
Brian Castillo

Profile:

I have a power point that I gave to our PFT's I'd be more then happy to share. It covers the efficacy, ecciciency, safety of CF; how it relates to us; and a cost comparison for my dept. let me know if you want it to use, change, look at and laugh...
Old 01-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
Chris Allison

Profile:

Another Firefighter and myself have been doing CrossFit together since Christmas he was already familiar with it through the marines and has been a lot of help. We are trying to introduce it to other guys throughout the department and while some have been really into it others just aren't interested. Thankfully one of our fitness guys is pretty receptive to it and is going to work with us on trying to get more CF stuff into the stations. I think once we get something good put together it will be a pretty easy sell when we show them how much cheaper it is. Our weight room is so clogged with Life Fitness machines that most of our workouts we have to do in the bay. These workouts are the best training I have ever done. Plus they are actually getting me more motivated towards fitness! CrossFit should be a standard for Fire Department fitness.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
Melinda Caldwell

Profile:

Brian, I would love to have that! I'll take anything that might possible help! Thanks so much, mel
melsky62@yahoo.com
Old 01-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
Michael Manning

Profile:

Brian, copy of PP Please? mike@harborcitycrossfit.com
BCFR Local 2969
Old 01-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
Brian Castillo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Manning View Post
Brian, copy of PP Please? mike@harborcityCrossFit.com
BCFR Local 2969
Only because you said please. I'm on my 4 day, so I will work on that this week.

P.S. Loving harborcity CF from this side of the country