CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
Christian Gotcher

Profile:
Neat Find

Reading Dick Couch's "The Sheriff of Ramadi," I noticed two references to SEALs doing Crossfit on deployment. Here are the quotes:

Quote:
"All SEALSs do there share of swimming and running, but they've developmed their own training regime to prepare for combat in Iraq. It's their adaptation of cross-training modeled after the workouts posted on the Web by gymjones.com and crossfit.com. These workouts are designed to promote the strength and stamina needed in combat- SEAL combat. This means a combination of endurance, upper-body strength, and combat quickness." (pg. 88)
Quote:
"The SEALs work out on a daily basis. For a Navy SEAL exercise is, to some degree, a form of recreation. There were two weight-training facilities at Camp Lee. A few of the SEALS I spoke with lifted weights every other day and blended the lifting with some form of CrossFit training. Many took weight training for three days and then took a day off. Some of them did the CrossFit training individually, but most of them worked in groups; the group dynamic seemed to make for a more strenuous workout." (pg 215)
I wouldn't want to summarize the book here- it's such a great read that I simply encourage anyone who hasn't already to go out and get themselves a copy. Cover to cover (Crossfit or not), Couch provides great insight to what our servicemen have been doing in Iraq.
M/22/155|Murph-28:19|Helen-9:39|Annie- 5:12|CFT-700|1.5 Mile-8:35|Strict PU-24|Fran-5:24 log