CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-10-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
Hey guys. I'm trying to convince my wife to start Crossfit. She is around 5'2" and 130lbs, 28yrs. Has had 3 kids (harder than any WOD), a patellafemoral recon on each knee and a fair bit of surgery for womens things. :blush: She is keen to get back into the gym but has been talking about doing nothing but cardio. I'm trying to convince her otherwise. Her main goal is weight loss and toning (hate that word). Obviously diet will have a huge effect on her progress, but in regard to exercise, is the WOD sufficient as is or should it be tweaked a bit? I know many of the WOD's would be fine scaled to her abilities, but with say a ME day, would you throw in some interval training as well? Any other tips that I could pass on would be great as well. I've shown her a few of the videos of the girls and if that doesn't convince her, I don't know what will.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
You can tell her that I lost 32 kgs (approx 64 pounds) from changing to the paleodiet and going from 'traditional' cardio (long bicycle rides, etc.) to doing Crossfit/Crossfit-like workouts. The first 12 kgs was from paleo directly, took only 10 days!

I'm a big guy though, so she shouldn't expect the same numbers :-)
Old 09-11-2006, 05:05 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Cardio is long and boring and burns a tiny bit of fat but only during the workout.....Short bursts of high intensity workouts (like Crossfit) along with the right eating will make her into a fat burning machine all day long. Pretty simple to figure which is better. If she doesn't want to do ME, then add in some other workout from the list...or do a tabata style workout with squats, sprints, etc.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:37 AM   #4
Chris Barclay

Profile:
Jason
I'm not an experienced CFer so take with a pinch of salt but, I have managed to talk my wfe into following a scaled version of CF - focusing mainly on the MC workouts to start with. She has always been into running but had put on weight after child no1 and was struggling to achieve what she wanted. Anyway, I "coached" her through about 3-4 weeks of work outs based on WODs I was doing that day. She seemed to enjoy the change and although not losing Lbs on the scales noticed a huge difference in general well being and size - drawing a number of comments on how good she looked etc. I think the CF routines etc are excellent for "toning" ( I know it's a bit of a dirty word round here) and for general fitness - especially with the limited time that having kids, job, college etc give you.

In term of weight loss - I have gone from being 13st/182lb to under 12.5St/174 in approx a month and from approx 18% BF to 12.8 at last count.

Hopefully this helps.

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:29 AM   #5
Maximus Lewin

Profile:
My workout partner, Nicole, had two kids, one right after the other, both are still under 3 years old. She lost 45 pounds in under a year and gained 10 pounds of muscle at the same time. She used the Zone diet and CrossFit and very little "cardio" per se.

pic of her here http://crossfitoakland.com/yoga.html

I personally went from 213 to 187 while getting MUCH stronger in well under a year using CrossFit.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:58 AM   #6
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
As a woman, I get WAY better results appearance-wise from weight training vs. cardio.
I'm just sayin'. ;-)
So yeah, CrossFit or at least weight training...

Basically, look at what the fit people do and do the same thing. Last gym I went to, the treadmills were full of overweight people....
Old 09-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #7
Justin Algera

Profile:
Well, just keep telling her...Thats what I did with my wife and she eventually just caved in to shut me up and now all she does is crossfit and OLY lifts :-) Now I am working on getting her into the BJJ with me.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
Justin -

BJJ too! Let me know how that goes.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:05 PM   #9
Yael Grauer

Profile:
This video is what got me very interested in BJJ. Not sure it would work for other women, but it's worth a shot.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...76419910054798
Old 09-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #10
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Jason - how do you drive to conserve fuel? You take off slowly and maintain a moderate speed. That's what those people at a HR of 135 or so on the recumbant bikes reading a magazine are doing, conserving fuel. The worst thing you can do in your car for gas mileage is lots of starts and stops, rapid accelerations, short trips and high speed. Hmmmm, what does that sound just like? You want to burn fuel, drive like a nut and exercise like a CrossFitter.