CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
Robert Kikuchi

Profile:
help with bumpers

Here's my situation. I live on Maui in Hawaii and a buddy and I are trying to purchase a good set of bumpers and oly bars. I've read most of the threads regarding the pros and cons of each brand of bumpers. Due to the crazy high costs of shipping, buying from a mainland company is pretty much not financially feasible. The cost of shipping is actually more than the price of the bumpers in many cases. Anyway, the only bumpers we could find locally are Ivankos and Hamptons. The Ivankos are quite a bit more than the Hamptons. The Hamptons are not full rubber bumpers, they have a metal core with a 2" rubber casing. The rep here says that a lot of the local high schools have purchased these and he has never had any problem with these plates, even with oly lifts and being dropped frequently.

My question is...does anyone on here have any experience with these Hampton bumpers? Is it worth the savings or should I go with the more expensive Ivankos.

Also to cut costs I was thinking about buying just a pair each of 45's, 25's, and 10's and getting a good bar. Does this sound like a good set that will serve for the majority of the WOD's?

Any input and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo nui loa!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: help with bumpers

I have 3 sets of Hamptons: 25 lbs, 15 and 20 kilos

They are the kind you describe with the iron core and 2 inches of rubber around the outside. I purchased them used off craigslist from a guy that used to do Olympic lifting with them for several years. They worked well for me and are a huge step up from solid iron but to be honest i never have felt comfortable dropping them from higher than my waist. They do not bounce much at all and the 2 inches of rubber can only so much to cushion the fall, even when dropped on 3/4 inch rubber stall mats.

I have more recently purchased solid rubber bumper weights and the difference is very noticeable.

If you have no other choice the Hamptons will work, but I would try sending an email to Glen Pendlay and Jason Wright to see what kind of deal they could get you. I know Glen has a flat rate with no shipping cost, though i do not know if Hawaii will work for that, but it is worth asking him cause solid rubber will make you much happier.

-Robert
Old 08-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
Steve Ericson

Profile:

I have heard from others that the Ivanko's are prone to splitting. I used Ivanko's at my local YMCA and thought they were fine but they were brand new when I started using them and don't go to the Y anymore so I am not sure how they are holding up 2 years later?
Old 08-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
Robert Kikuchi

Profile:

Thanks Robert and Steve for the replys. I have emailed Jason Wright about his bumpers and he was nice enough to tell me that the shipping was too outrageous for him to feel good about selling them to me. He referred me to the Garage Gym Store, but they also said that shipping was crazy high. So we are basically left with Hampton and Ivanko as choices.

So if I need to choose between the two, would the Ivankos be the better choice as they are full rubber?
Old 08-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
Robert Callahan

Profile:

If you are planing on doing overhead work I would go with the solid rubber. If you are ok having to lower everything to your waist before dropping the weight and the price difference is enough go with the Hamptons.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I used to own a set of Hamptons. They sucked. The hubs were too thin which made the plates wobble and scratch the hell out of the barbell sleeve. The paint also flaked off constantly.

I've used Ivankos also and they are my second least favorite bumpers. Unless they've changed their product line, they aren't solid rubber. They are rubber coated.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
Robert Kikuchi

Profile:

Thanks Lincoln. So looks like my choice in bumpers is between sucky Hamptons and slightly less sucky Ivankos. Oh well...just need something I can lift and drop, right? Thanks everyone for their input.