CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Registered for a Cert and now I'm terrified

I just registered for the Va Beach cert at Blauer Tactical, and I'm terrified. I don't know why, I have this feeling that I'm an exercise fraud and I'm about to be found out! The truth is, I'm sure my form is horrible, I'm weaker than I think and chubby too, what if you guys don't like me!! On the other hand, this stuff fascinates me, and I'd like to get adequate at it. What am I likely to experience at a cert? How should I prep?
Old 05-06-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
Jay Roughton

Profile:
Re: Registered for a Cert and now I'm terrified

Try and go into the cert with an open mind. You obviously have questions and / or need assistance with areas of CF, as you stated regarding your form. Many CF'ers start out deconditioned either mentally or physically. Try showing up with a list (long or short) of questions you want answered and try working them into the lectures when appropriate. Don't go into this thing worried about anything. Just soak up the info. Another great idea would be to connect with someone in your area for after the cert., someone you can train with or even just someone you can call for technique questions or form questions or nutrition questions. I have a CF support group that consists of about 3 or 4 people that I can call to talk CF with and sometimes even train with. it has helped me immensely! GOD speed young warrior...
Old 05-07-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

NOT THAT YOUNG
Perhaps I seemed more insecure then I am. I am nervous because I have never been to an exercise type seminar. My main question is what should I expect? I hope I have form difficulties/knowledge deficiencies otherwise why would I shell out the cash for a Cert? The truth is I am highly excited to start this next step in my crossfit experience. Thank you
Old 05-07-2008, 12:57 AM   #4
Celio Silva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
My main question is what should I expect?

To get your a$$ kicked!...

...but seriously, you'll learn fundamentals: squats (air, front, overhead), presses (overhead, push press, push jerk), deadlift, dumbbell snatch, medball clean, kipping pull ups, GHD (sit ups, back extension, hip extension), rowing, muscle up.

Nutrition.

You'll learn the whys behind Crossfit philosophy and programing, which are fascinating!

Prior to it, you'll receive a study guide of a few dozen journals. READ EVERY ONE OF THEM! It will build the foundation for a greater understanding of the wealth of information you are to receive.

Rest for 2-3 days before the cert and get your sleep and eating right; you'll need it.

Schedule 1-2 days off after the cert. Your body will thank you and your mind will be ecstatic soaking in the wonderful experience you just had and how it will influence your life and training.

Have a blast and good luck!
Old 05-07-2008, 01:16 AM   #5
Barry Cooper

Profile:

It's funny, but I answered a similar question for someone who was also damn tough a while back in an email.

My guess is that you are used to excelling, and a big part of that is understanding clearly what is expected, and walking into the "test" having prepared. Since the test and the instruction for the test happen at the same time, your concern is that you will be mad at yourself for not performing better than you fear you might.

Is that close?

In my own experience, having been to two Level One certs, you will be amazed how helpful and supportive everyone is. The point of going to a Cert is to learn where you are deficient, and then correct those deficiencies. This applies to everyone, and believe me when I say that egoes will be punished, and humility amply rewarded. Nobody can "own" fully any part of Crossfit, and certainly not beginners. There is no pink shirt, and no thought of creating one. The work is hard enough for the toughest of the tough, and it is varied enough that no one person can master it all.

My suggestion is to walk in with a smile on your face, say hello to everyone you can, pay attention, do the workouts as well as you can, and otherwise just count on thoroughly enjoying the experience. CrossFitters are good people, and you'll unquestionably have some laughs. Even if some of them are at your expense, it's all good. Everybody gets their turn. It's perfectly fair.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:32 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=26446
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=24223
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=28912

Search?
Old 05-07-2008, 02:38 AM   #7
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Thank you gentlemen.
That is the type of information I was looking for. Barry I don't know about excelling, but I insist upon adequacy. I do better off the cuff when I'm as prepared as I can be.
Steven, one of those threads I hadn't read. You caught me I was trolling for more information. Thanks for gathering them up for me though.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:10 AM   #8
John Velandra

Profile:

BRING FOOD & WATER!!!!
Quite a few folks go to these certs and have no food with them... or it's processed goobies that won't sustain any workout and yes, you will workout like a champ!

Bring a cooler with food for before lunch and as a post-wod meal/snack and again for the afternoon.

Note taking material, camera, etc....

ENJOY it
Old 05-07-2008, 05:47 AM   #9
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Velandra View Post
BRING FOOD & WATER!!!!
Quite a few folks go to these certs and have no food with them... or it's processed goobies that won't sustain any workout and yes, you will workout like a champ!

Bring a cooler with food for before lunch and as a post-wod meal/snack and again for the afternoon.

Note taking material, camera, etc....

ENJOY it
werd! This was a big mistake on my part.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #10
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

don't be scuuuurrred Rob!