CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
Mike Deavers

Profile:
LEO/MIL help, is your agency CF'ing?

Greetings everyone. Looking for help from the warriors, peacemakers, and protectors out there. No matter what your uniform might be.

On behalf of the D/FW International Airport Department of Public Safety, Special Operations Division:

What agencies are using CrossFit, formally or informally? Looking for teams, door kickers, trainers, motivators, small groups, and dedicated individuals. Planning and justification time, ya'll.

Thank you for your time,

Mike
mdeavers@dfwairport.com
Old 11-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Jonathan Rich

Profile:
Re: LEO/MIL help, is your agency CF'ing?

My girlfriend is a CSI for High Point NC Police Department and I know several of the officers there implement CrossFit in their workouts. Their hand-to-hand defense instructor, JT Goodman, is a certified Tony Blair (SPEAR) Tactical Instructor. I imagine this is how most of them became aware of CrossFit, because there isn't an affiliate very close. Hope that helps some.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
Allan Luomala

Profile:

The Canadian Army has adopted CrossFit into it's Army Fitness Manual (AFM), calling it the Combat Fitness Program (CFP). Here is a link to the instructional module for instructors: http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land_fo.../acim/acim.swf

(If you want to jump right into the CrossFit stuff, use the bottom left drop down, and select "Combat Fitness Program", and then use the next drop down to move throughout the module, and the arrows to the right of that.... the navigation isn't web-user friendly, as it's designed as an eLearning tool, to be completed in a linear fashion).

There is a hockey-sock (there's a good Canadian-ism for you!) full of information in there, primarily on the basic fitness programs, but also a ton of info on CrossFit. You'll see Nicole (Carrol), Eddie (Lugo) and Coach, all captured in glorious colour and audio, doing their thing: Eddie and Nicole doing the exercises, and Coach, well, coaching. Make sure you dig around, and you will find lots of justification (i.e examples of why the exercises and overall CrossFit model work) to implement CrossFit into your unit's PT program. There are also documents available of the trial that was conducted at the Canadian Infantry School, using CrossFit as a PT program, vs traditional "dumb" PT. I'm not sure if they are in that package (I haven't looked in every nook and cranny of it), but they are in some of the CrossFit Journals (CFJ) from a few year's back. I could do some research to find which ones, if you need it.

Anyway, hope this helps,

Allan
Old 11-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

My Air Force Detachment (ACC TRSS Det 11) has been using CrossFit since April 07. We just destroyed the competition at our latest on base challenge. (WFS) http://www.bealeservices.com/reccechallenge/index.htm

Team 21, Coed Road. The next coed road team was 10 minutes behind us. All the members of my detachment do CrossFit.

Everyone in the Det also scores in the 90-100 range on the PT test. Two of us scored 100 for the 25 and under range (myself - 30 years old, and my LT).
Old 11-09-2007, 10:18 PM   #5
Todd Lynch

Profile:

Delray Beach Fire Rescue in South FL ...informally.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:06 AM   #6
Mike Deavers

Profile:

Thank you, thank you, thank you
Old 11-10-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
Ben Duiker

Profile:

Trying to get the Army to implement a new way of doing PT is like getting an avalanche to miss your house, too much inertia. But there are many of us that use CF as part of our programs. The biggest show stopper is a lack of funds to get even the most minimal equipment. Think of trying to buy 131 medicine balls.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
John Thompson

Profile:

Only if you count using the tv remote control in the lunch room as a DE lift.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #9
Mike Deavers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
Only if you count using the tv remote control in the lunch room as a DE lift.
Ouch... but understood
Old 11-12-2007, 08:13 PM   #10
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Dittoing what Ben said, I've tried to implement Crossfit PT here in ROTC land and met similar results.

As such I've resulted to battle drills 10 and 10a during PT: avoid the cadre and avoid the BN CDR. And when these battle drills fail, I use a camouflaged metcon workout like Cindy. That, coupled with slowly subverting members of the unit to the CF mindset, seems to be the best COA in the Army.