CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-19-2006, 03:40 PM   #1
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Read Journal #21 on single speed freeMotobecane MESSENGER road racing TRACK bike-wheel bicycles and got all pumped up about it. Now I'm in the market for one. Went down to the local bike shop but left frustrated and astounded at the prices for some of the bikes. Bikes go from $3K to $5K these days?!?! Considering that was out of my price range (my car's value is less than the price of a new bike!)...I decided to browse around on Ebay. I found a brand new 2006 Motobecane MESSENGER road racing TRACK bike for $347.00 plus $40 bucks for shipping. Since this is my first bike and I really don't need anything real fancy is this a good bike for my first time? Anyone else ever ride one or know anyone who has.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/23156.jpg
Old 04-19-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
For a brand new, dedicated SS bike, that seems like a good deal. First things first, you need to find out what size it is and what size "you" are. Shipping it back would not be cool on your pocketbook (assuming they even take returns). Others on here will be able to help you out on that more than I.

Looks like a great bike, SS bikes are near indestructible anyway, and easily fixed/upgraded if necessary.

I just wish my road bike conversion to fixed-gear had horizontal dropouts. I'd say I'd fix that problem next time, except with fixies, they don't ever really break, I'm not outgrowing it anytime soon :happy:, and there are other higher priorities (much higher) in my fitness world right now (ie. C2, pullup bar, and oh yeah, starting an affiliate in Tucson!).

Best of luck with the purchase.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
Cole Hanley

Profile:
An acquaintance was in town last summer with a fixed gear bike and I got to try it out. You think CrossFit is dangerous? HA! Just wait until you go down a hill or mis-time a stop sign on a bike that DOES NOT COAST! That said, it was damn fun and I'm hoping to pick one up this summer.

At least the bike you're looking at has brakes - a lot of the messenger bikes you see in NYC don't even have them. Garrett is right about making sure you get the right size.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Cole,
At least one brake is mandatory in my world. I couldn't imagine what thought process (other than macho ego) goes through people's minds when they buy a bike that has to be stopped with leg power only. Let's say one has finished a large hill (tiring), starts down the back side, gets some speed, then has to come to a stop suddenly? Obviously the stop is only as good as the legs (strength and coordination) that provide it.

It registers with me on the same level as riding a motorcycle without a helmet (or a bike for that matter!).

I've got a front brake on mine.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #5
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Steve,
I totally agree with all the advice given here, and I'll add that even though a fixed gear bike is hard to ride and dangerous it will turn you into a monster cyclist in a very short time. Much more so than a freewheel single speed could. If you want to make it handle a bit nicer and turn it into as true courier bike you can put on a MTB downhill bar and a set of cheap MTB levers. You wont be as aero but you'll have way more control and stopping power.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:46 PM   #6
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Oops just realized the bike can be set up in three ways:

1.) TRACK - FIXED GEAR WITH NO BRAKES
2.) MESSENGER STYLE - FIXED GEAR WITH FRONT BRAKE ONLY
3.) SINGLE SPEED ROAD - FREEWHEEL WITH TWO BRAKES

So it looks like I can learn both ways - using fixed and freewheel. Pretty cool, huh?

I asked the seller what she thought the ideal size was for a muscular build 200 lb, 5'9 guy and she said 56cm size should do. Does this sound about right?

Jut want to make sure I cover all angles before I make my purchase.

By the way, thanks for the responses. Appreciate the help.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:18 PM   #7
Motion Macivor

Profile:
I'm 5'11" and I take a 56 cm frame but it would'nt be the end of the world if you had a bike that was a bit too big for you. You can always put a shorter stem on,lower it, lower the seat post, move the sadle for and aft. Generaly it's easier to make a smaller bike fit a bigger guy but it is posible. Just not ideal. go to a bike store and sit on a 56 cm frame and see how you like it.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #8
Cole Hanley

Profile:
Garrett,
Yes, brakes are mandatory in my world too. We're on the same page about that. Dying in some outta-control-no-brakes-crash would win a Darwin Award for sure and I'd like to avoid that.

I do admire the skill and guts that it takes to ride one of those bikes in the Big City at high speeds in all weather and traffic though.

Take care.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:16 PM   #9
Steve Liberati

Profile:
So you think I might be better off going with a 54 cm frame instead? Unofortunately, I don't think I'll have time this week to swing over to the bike shop and try out a bike.

Thanks Motion.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #10
Motion Macivor

Profile:
52-54 would probably fit a bit better but like I said it would'nt be the end of the world.