CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #1
Lewis Evans

Profile:
working on a boat for a month, any workout/nutrition ideas?

I am going to be working on a tow-boat doing a 30 day on 15 day off rotation and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for workouts and nutrition. I have a set of rings that I was planning on bringing but besides that my options are probably going to be limited. As my work schedule would probably be 6 hours on 6 hours off or 12 hours on 12 off and the food selection is limited I was thinking about doing IF.

Thanks for any help/ideas!

Lewis Evans
Old 03-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: working on a boat for a month, any workout/nutrition ideas?

Look for the Eva T body weight WOD forum post I did a while back.

Kettlebells would be great.

Fish much?
Old 03-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
Ian Haya

Profile:

Depending on how often this ship gets to port, it's quite possible that the fresh veggies stores will get pretty empty by the end of the 2nd week. My guess is lots of onions and potatoes and maybe some carrots. There won't be much fresh, and there won't be much variety. Leafy greens may even disappear as soon as the first week.

First and foremost would be a quality multivitamin along with Vitamin C and maybe something like liquid greens or some other sort of vegetable pill. It's not ideal, but it's a little better than being severly malnourished.

There'll probably be lots of fish, but I'd probably take some protein powder as well. I'd also probably take a nice big stash of mixed nuts (almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews, pecans).

This is all of course assuming that this boat doesn't dock regularly, you're in a cabin on the boat, and all the meals are prepared for you so that you can either eat what's made, or go into your own personal stash.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
Lewis Evans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Look for the Eva T body weight WOD forum post I did a while back.
I have a list of the Eva T body weight WOD's and am probably going to be using a bunch of them but I will check out that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Kettlebells would be great.
I wish that I could take my kettlebell down with me but its to heavy to take on the plane with all my stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Haya View Post
Depending on how often this ship gets to port, it's quite possible that the fresh veggies stores will get pretty empty by the end of the 2nd week. My guess is lots of onions and potatoes and maybe some carrots. There won't be much fresh, and there won't be much variety. Leafy greens may even disappear as soon as the first week.
The boats are all on the inland waterways (the intercoastal between Texas and Florida and the Mississippi and its tributaries so we get groceries every week or so. I already take a multi but a good idea taking a bunch of nuts and I will look into the vegi pill.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

Can you get away with a 35 lb carry-on?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
Dan Ensing

Profile:

Lewis,

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, and hope you don't mind me asking... how'd you hook up with this job? Sounds pretty cool, IMHO. Or, maybe it isn't cool and I've been stuck in the big city too long.

Dan
Old 03-28-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
Lewis Evans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensing View Post
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, and hope you don't mind me asking... how'd you hook up with this job? Sounds pretty cool, IMHO. Or, maybe it isn't cool and I've been stuck in the big city too long.
I worked for them a couple of summers ago for an internship. It's a fun job but a lot of work, the company that I'm working for pushes oil and chemical barges around to different refineries and plants.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
Robin Marling

Profile:

Hey,

I actually am delurking because I thought this was an interesting question that I've been thinking about lately. I've just recently gotten into Crossfit, but I'm trying to figure out how to adapt it when I go to my next command as a surface warfare officer in the Navy.

The good thing about your situation is that you'll be on inland waters, so everything will be pretty flat. If there are weights tucked away in the corner somewhere, you'll be able to use them without worries (my gut feeling tells me there will be some equipment from previous crews already onboard). Other thoughts: bring a jump rope and one of those yoga mat things. The yoga mat is to allow you to do crunches, pushups, etc. without shredding your back.

Having stood plenty of port and stbd watches, it's important to get into a routine that works for you. It's hard to get enough sleep when the longest you can realistically sleep at any stretch is 4.5 hours. What worked for me was to catch up on paperwork, work out and catch 2 hours of sleep during one of my off periods and sleep as much as possible the other period, which was about five hours. If the schedule throws you off because of some evolution where everyone is needed, then that's the day to pick a WOD that you can do fairly quickly. I found that justifying skipping work outs for sleep is a slippery slope for me.

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted on what works for you. I'll be interested to pick up any tips.

Last edited by Robin Marling : 03-30-2008 at 06:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
Lewis Evans

Profile:

Congrats on just getting into CF, I recently started a few months ago myself. What ship are you going on? Quite a bit of the people that I graduated with went Navy, either active or MMR.

Being inland is definitely going to be easier then the blue water. I worked on a few ships and it was always fun trying to workout when the ship was rocking. It would be nice if there was some equipment on the boat when I get there, looks like I will be crossing my fingers. I probably will be doing a lot of the Eva T body weight WOD's. Good idea about juggling sleep which is always a premium, the never ending pile paperwork and getting in the WOD's.

I will definitely let you know if anything works well for me out there, and good luck with your next assignment.