CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-13-2004, 10:59 AM   #1
John Walsh

Profile:
I have been thinking about trying to drop below 200 lbs. I am currently 225. I am about 12-14% body fat so I can trim some off by eating better. I have been doing CF for about 6 months now and my weight is staying stable.

Has anyone ever amped up their CF program to lose weight by incorporating some endurance activities? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 12-13-2004, 12:21 PM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Back when it was sumer/fall, I would run 1.1 miles to the Y and back to do the WOD, I noticed I lost 5-10 pounds without changing anything else (I wasn't even trying to lose weight). If you're not on the Zone, consider trying it - it's caloric restrictive so it ought to help (and paleo is good too).
Old 12-13-2004, 01:22 PM   #3
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
john, i second what ben said. i am not specifically on the zone yet as far as the block meals go, but i have cut out high glycemic index foods and i lost 9 lbs. the first week. and it is ammazinghow good you feel too.

Old 12-13-2004, 03:23 PM   #4
Ron Nelson

Profile:
John,
You and I are in the same boat. I was 205 when I started CF in June; now I'm 215, but look the same. This can only mean my BF is still 15-20% or higher. I'm starting to cut down on the high GI carbs and upping my protein/fat ala The Zone, but not a full Zone eater as of now. I did notice that when I was spinning once, twice, sometimes three times a week, I was heading toward that elusive 200 lb goal. I was thinking of upping the endurance activities on days when we go heavy just to see if that helps. I know most will say that sticking to just the Zone will help, and they're probably right. Just seems as though I need to do a little more to get to that goal weight/BF level.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:41 AM   #5
Justin Jacobsen

Profile:

Be very wary of the bathroom scale/long slow endurance WO combination. LSE is highly catabolic. Lean muscle mass is detrimental to efficient long distance efforts, so the body tends to shed the extra muscle first. Think Lance Armstrong's upper body.

Sure, you are going to see WEIGHT loss. But how much of that is going to be LBM? I would venture to say that cutting LBM is not one of your goals.

Remember the pyramid. Nutrition-GPP(CF)-Sport

What you put in your mouth is going to get you 80% of the way there. Do Crossfit. Play sports. Be patient. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:57 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I second justin, but will add:
1. Tighten nutrition, also drop to low fat protein choices, ie. chicken over beef. Make up the additional fat with a healthy fat source, olive oil, nuts. Only VEG and Fruit for carb. choices. Make sure your getting, at least, 1g/lb of PRO per lean body mass.
2. Take 8-10 grams of EPA/DHA in the form of fish oil every day.
3. WALK for 30 to 40 minutes a day, in addition to the WOD. This acts as recovery, does not waste muscle tissue, and adds up in the calorie expended column.
4. Drink coffee prior to the wod.
5. Buy a digital fat caliper and use it, weekly. Put your progress on a graph.
6. Cook all of your lean protein choices on Sunday. Protein is the hardest thing to come up with in a pinch. So if you find yourself reaching into the fridge, you could grab a chicken breast and an apple instead of chips an dip.
7. Time is our greatest friend. It took a long time to get over fat, it's going to take a couple of months (at least) to drop that fat. Going crazy and going for the kill immediately only leads to long term fat gain from rebound. Make a commitment to be at your goal body fat by June 1, 2005. If you lost 3 pounds a month you could lose 18 lbs (if you start now you could lose 20). Almost anyone could lose three lbs a month! If you get there before then, maintain BF or increase lean body mass (with diet and CF).
Old 12-14-2004, 06:41 AM   #7
John Walsh

Profile:
Thanks for the tips. My diet is not the best. That's what I get for marrying a girl from Greece.
Diet will have to be my focus. I will also try the walking in the evening after supper.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:59 AM   #8
Tony Young

Profile:
John,
I'll third Justin and Larry; after a couple years of big weight/low rep lifting I was at a sloppy but strong 220+ at 5'10". Ate everything that didn't move and a few that did. Went full CF and decent (still improving) Zone in August and sit here at 195. Feel much better and haven't lost any strength. LSD will use up stuff you want to keep. I've always "known" that diet was the key but wouldn't have completely believed it if I hadn't seen it .
Old 12-14-2004, 11:00 AM   #9
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Looks like my own words are coming back to haunt me! I have said many times, in my experience, that time is what is needed. The weight didn't appear overnight, and it ain't going away that quickly either.
In my case now, I've seen my weight go up slightly over the past 3-4 months. Part of that is LBM gain as I know I'm stronger now than when I started CF. Most of it is probably due to slacking off in my diet!
One thing to remember if you are starting the Zone, or any diet lifestyle like it, is to adjust to your own idiosyncracies. I have to adjust my total carbohydrate intake down a notch or two and up the protein/fat as I'm less tolerant of carbs, especially high GI carbs. Everyone who mentioned nutrition as being key is right, but I don't see the harm in adding some endurance work on days when the WOD does not call for it. Things like a mile run, a 1000m row, or the occasional spin class will help get there and help break up the routine. I kind of use it for "me time" as I don't have to think about any thing but the activity itself.
YRMV
Old 12-14-2004, 11:42 AM   #10
Mike Minium

Profile:
Justin really gets it. Pay attention to his post. That pyramid is key.

Mike