CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-22-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
Steven Low

Profile:
new years resolutions

I have been seriously contemplating about going straight 'real' bodyweight exercises for training (well, bodyweight exercises like dips and pullups + weight are still bodyweight exercises to me). So that would probably leave out squatting, DL and oly lifting which I actually like even though I haven't gotten around to them much recently because of the knee. I'm quite curious as to how to optimally pretty much make yourself "super strong" without being involved in serious training for a sport like gymnastics where strength and physique are really more of a byproduct of having to have a routine for competition (although the strength training may be similar you should see increased strength gains because of lack of large scale conditioning as S&C don't optimally mix obviously).

Again, I was experimenting with the just sprints, pistols, and max effort broads and verts before my knee got injured and I saw some pretty decent gains on the broad jumps.. and I'm seeing pretty good progress on the rings recently with visible hypertrophy and from what I can tell strength gains. With 2008 around the corner I might make this my "all bodyweight" year which could be interesting.

Basically if I actually decide to take something up like this I would need someone with similar ability/stats more or less to 'compete' against I guess. I need to compare progress on someone who is training pure strength without just bodyweight and perhaps someone from CF (who would then benchmark their strength skills against the others). Well, I doubt there's probably any of you with nearly similar stats or specialty strength (rings) like mine, but I think it's more or less worth some sort of attempt at it just if all else fails as motivation. Well, people can do what I'm doing as well though, but it's really an experiment so I don't know the efficacy this training will have yet.. could be slower or faster than barbell + bodyweight or maybe just barbell or CF style. Who knows. I, of course, would help construct workout routines as needed.

Any takers or people that are somewhat interested? Suggestions?

Hehe, sorry if the title is a bit misleading. There's already a couple competition threads up.. so this is more or less something similar except with different methods of training rather than competing with mainly just CF workouts.

Last edited by Steven Low : 12-22-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: new years resolutions

P.S. I know this is CF forum and it has been suggested that it probably wouldn't work so well given most of the people on here (and to take it to another forum although I have already done that so it's covered ).. but I figured I might as well give some people heads up even if they were just remotely interested at even just following the progress at most.

P.P.S doesn't necessarily have to be a year either.. maybe a cycle of a month or two.

Last edited by Steven Low : 12-22-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
Jake Oleander

Profile:

i believe you and i have very similar goals in our training (lots of strength- relative to weight, explosive lower body strength, rings holds, etc). i dont necessarily agree with the 'all bodyweight' means of achieving strength though. i will continue to train with weights + bodyweight exercises, but you are already significantly stronger than i am, so i dont know how well i would serve as a test comparison for your experiment.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Jake Oleander

Profile:

also- i dont really see how you can leave out squats, but then do weighted pistols. seems to me the squat is a bw exercise, just with a lot of weight added. lol.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

That's true more or less. I generally group squats with bodyweight exercises. However, the problem is more or less with logistics this time.. I have weights I can use to squat with, but I don't have a good way to load them so I can squat. And I'm poor. Yeah.

I have done weighted pistols before.. I was thinking about trying Coach Sommer's pistol progressions (for distance, up onto a block, for distance onto a block) possibly along with the sprints. My knee is still bummed for pistols and squats at the moment though so I'm stuck with sprints for probably another few weeks or so until I can start more intense work on it.

Well, even if you are weaker than me or whatever it would still be interesting to see how fast you gain strength in respect to benchmarking exercises we can set up. I have a log on powerathletesmag that has kept track of my workouts for the past 2.5 years so you can see where you were progressing compared to my training (even with different goals at different times).
Old 12-22-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
Jake Oleander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
That's true more or less. I generally group squats with bodyweight exercises. However, the problem is more or less with logistics this time.. I have weights I can use to squat with, but I don't have a good way to load them so I can squat. And I'm poor. Yeah.

I have done weighted pistols before.. I was thinking about trying Coach Sommer's pistol progressions (for distance, up onto a block, for distance onto a block) possibly along with the sprints. My knee is still bummed for pistols and squats at the moment though so I'm stuck with sprints for probably another few weeks or so until I can start more intense work on it.

Well, even if you are weaker than me or whatever it would still be interesting to see how fast you gain strength in respect to benchmarking exercises we can set up. I have a log on powerathletesmag that has kept track of my workouts for the past 2.5 years so you can see where you were progressing compared to my training (even with different goals at different times).
braindx, right? checking it out now. as for pistols, i dont usually do them, not because i dont like them or find them an effective exercise, but primarily because im a two foot jumper. my lower body training is mainly geared at increasing my two foot jumping for basketball, but i also do a little bit of free running. so i do a lot of squats and two foot plyometric drills.
Im thinking we can probably work out some sort of a dual training log...?
Old 12-22-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Sure, that'd work.

Also on the legs thing, I was also thinking about maybe some type of plyometrics/depth drops of some sort. Although that's tougher on the joints so I'm not to keen on that just for that reason.

Hopefully we can get some more people in on this or something. Maybe mirza/kensai01 will want to get in on this somewhat. I know he enjoys the 5/2 schedule with oly lifts and gymnastics strength skills so far.

While I am a bit more interested in the efficacy of different methods, it would be interesting to see how this all turns out even at different strength levels/goals starting out I think.. especially when I think a lot of us are after uber-strong upper body and explosive lower body like you said.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Okay so no one else wants in, eh? Alright.

Jake: have you come up with any goals for the new year already besides what I saw in the new years resolution thread?

Quote:
-dunk a standard (mens) basketball on a standard rim (10 feet).
-front lever, iron cross, straddle planche push ups

the dunking goal is pretty lofty, but i think the upper body strength moves i will likely achieve within the year.
as you may well know I posted mine there as well.

Quote:
Skills:
One arm handstand
No significant injuries!

Pulling:
~2x bodyweight chinup (currently 110 @ 135 lbs)
~OAC +25 lbs (currently on and off OAC no weight)
~butterfly cross (hey, let's be a little ambitious, lol)

Pushing:
~full planche on rings (currently straddle)
~planche pushups on floor (currently almost straddle planche pushups)
~maltese (hey, let's be a little ambitious, lol)

Posterior chain:
~Vertical leap more than 36" (am around 28-30" before knee)
~Broad jump 10.5 ft ft (at 9.5 ft before knee)
~Sprint X time 100m/200m/400m (haven't benchmarked yet)

Notes: 2x bodyweight chin and full planche on rings are priority since I'm racing Jim (beastskills) to them.
So do you actually want to do a joint log or just post in separate logs working towards more or less the same thing? I'll help critique and give you advice if you need help towards yours more or less since I can already do some of those. Do you already have a log here on CF?

Also, how far are you away from dunking? Height/weight/vertical? Also, how far from cross, straddle planche/straddle planche pushups and front lever?

Last edited by Steven Low : 12-28-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:41 AM   #9
Jake Oleander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Okay so no one else wants in, eh? Alright.

Jake: have you come up with any goals for the new year already besides what I saw in the new years resolution thread?

as you may well know I posted mine there as well.

So do you actually want to do a joint log or just post in separate logs working towards more or less the same thing? I'll help critique and give you advice if you need help towards yours more or less since I can already do some of those. Do you already have a log here on CF?

Also, how far are you away from dunking? Height/weight/vertical? Also, how far from cross, straddle planche/straddle planche pushups and front lever?

Those are pretty much my only strength related goals at the moment. ill be adding weighted pull ups into my training, but i dont have a specific goal with that in mind, maybe 1rm at +100lbs pull up ... i might add in some metcon/endurance goals, but at the moment brute strength is my priority
Im going to try and keep the log up on powerathletesmag, no need to do two i think. id appreciate any constructive critisism from you over there concerning my training. the dual logs over there seem good, as its easy to write in our own logs and then read each others and view progress efficiently. your advice on the cross has pretty much shaped my training in that area and was definitely solid (although i may be lacking the frequency needed lately).
as far as my progress towards my goals:
first of all i'm 5 10 and between 150-155 with short arms and big hands. i can almost hang off a rim with 2 hands, one hand gets over the rim about far enough to dunk a tennis ball. im not sure what my standing vertical jump is, but i know its A LOT lower than my running jump. this leads me to think that heavy squating will be more effective than plyometrics for seeing results in jumping, so im going to be doing a lot of squating.
for the strength holds i have a decent straddle lever (but a horrible straddle) and a very strong advanced tuck planche (can do about 5 push ups this way on parallettes with strict form). i dont know a good way of explaining my cross strength, but im using the second strongest theraband at the moment (blue) for a set of 5 if im fresh.

Last edited by Jake Oleander : 12-29-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:53 AM   #10
Jake Oleander

Profile:

oh yea, i forgot to mention. although i dont know my vertical, i do know my standing box jump is about 48 inches while running i can do about 60 inches.