CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-12-2004, 11:23 AM   #1
Eric Durante

Profile:

Fellow Crossfitters:
I am in the U.S. Army & have been doing the WOD for about 2 months now. I really enjoy the workouts. Two times a year in the Army, all soldiers are required to take an Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT). This 3 event test is made up of (in this order): 2 minutes of push ups / 2 minutes of sit-ups & a 2 mile run. The higer the repetitions the higher the score. A grader is employed to employ good form & counts if a repetition is not complete correctly. You are given 10 minutes of rest between events. I do well on it: 70+ push ups, 80+ sit ups & 13:20 2 mile...in the past I specifically trained for the test, i.e. did push ups & bench press for push ups -- sit ups for sit up improvement & used a once a week long run (4-6 miles) & interval/pace runs for the 2 mile. How can I use Crossfit to do just as well? Should I just do WOD & supplement to prep for the push ups/sit ups & run? I simply want to achieve the scores I have had in the past or go higher? I will take my next APFT in April. Looking forward to some good Crossfit advice.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:17 PM   #2
J. D. Hernandez

Profile:

Eric,
I'm training for similar circumstance. I've picked my 10 favorite WOD's, and cycle them on M/W/F, I make sure that the 10 all stress different systems (strength endurance/pure strength or power/endurance) to prevent stagnation and overtraining (mainly just to keep it intresting. Every day I do a form of GTG(Grease the Groove- not sure if your familar with it, if not check out dragon door's article section). My GTG segments vary depending on how I feel that day (anywhere from 5-10 sets). All my GTG segments involve a set of pullups, pushups, and pistols. My crossfit workouts come in the afternoon and I run in the morning and possibly evening. I scale the intensity of my runs to avoid overtraining. I also swim after my crossfit workout. It is a bit much, so you have to be smart about it. I'm trying to work up to crossfit 5 days a week with runnins and swimming, but I'm taking it slow. As of right now, if I feel up to it after work, I do half a WOD (or a modified) as active recovery on Tue/Thur. Hope this helps. In other words I suggest GTG, and listen to your body.

The body becomes it's function,
J.D.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:21 PM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Good answer J.D. similarly, I have to take a PT test every year as a police officer. The WOD will increase your numbers in pushups and situps but. . .you may want to incorporate the official crossfit warmup, in which you could include Sampson stretch, pushups, situps, pullups and dips, circuit fashion for three rounds ala Paval's "greasing the groove". The idea is to gradually add more reps, may be one every other week. Do not do the warm up to failure. WOD's will work your cardiorespiatary system like no other workous. About two to three weeks out from the event you could focus on tempo runs at the two mile range approximately three times a week.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:51 PM   #4
FRANCO BELCASSIO

Profile:

hi larry when you test for the 1.5 mile or 2 mile run what kind of intervals are you doing 400m or 800 m etc? how many? how many days a week do you do intervals, i see you do 1 long run
thanks