CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
From what I've seen on the crossfit boards, there are some incredibly elite athletes on Crossfit, and there are some who seem rather run of the mill. Everyone who has been on Crossfit for six months is fitter than everyone at my gym, however, some really stand out.

What is it they do that allows this? What makes Eva as fit as she is, and has me not be able to finish metcon WOD's? Is it just a matter of time before I reach this?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:27 AM   #2
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Years of experience and consistency. Determination and a no quit attitude.

Bear in mind Eva has been an Elite athlete for 3 decades and she is still learning... Just keep on keeping on, work your butt off! Thats what seperates goodness from greatness, investment.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:58 AM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
As in any other sport, the ones who stand out are those who have put in their years of work, doing every workout, and doing it to the best of their ability, and who take diet seriously. Coach has said more than once that the Zone diet puts afterburners on already fast people.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:35 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Consistency - Virtuosity - Intensity. In exercise, nutrition, research, and life.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:38 AM   #5
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
You'd be surprised at what consistent training over a long period of time will do for you. Just stick with it!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:42 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Some come from a long long background (years and decades) of fitness or sports. So of course a person who has been lifting for years or played serious competitive sports will have the edge over someone who never trained hard in the past. I wouldn't compare yourself to others, that will never make you happy. Compare your own progress, that is all that should matter. Consistency is the key to any progress, and unlike what any infomercial will try to sell you, gains and progress are long term...nothing overnight about them. Just worry about your daily habbits of nutrition and exercise...and enjoy the daily "journey" of fitness....it's not a "destination". (much like life itself)
Old 01-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
Kurt Holm

Profile:
Elite athletes are those with genetic gifts who work harder than anyone else. At his NFL Draft workout, Reggie Bush ran the 40 in 4.33, had a standing broad jump of 10-foot-9, a vertical leap of 40.5 inches and did 24 reps in the 225-pound bench press yet when he trained with LT, he puked. There's always another level...
Old 01-08-2007, 09:38 AM   #8
Peter Queen

Profile:
Like most people have already stated, just stick with it, and most of all don't compare yourself with others. I have been at CF for over a year now and I am still not "elite". I have however, taken a quantum leap from where I use to be, and I already come from a very active background before CF like a lot of people here. CF puts everything together in such a way that if you do not improve even a little bit, then you are not trying hard enough.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:36 PM   #9
Tim McFarland

Profile:
I was going to say, "They're cyborgs."

But that's just too silly, so I guess I won't say it!:bleh0000:
Old 01-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
Laura Rucker

Profile:
I have talked to many of the stand outs one on one. They are just like me. Better than they used to be but not as good as they hope to be, and getting better every day. Some of them don't even consider themselves elite. Go figure.

So, I made a new motto for this years training:
I am not one of the "elite",
I am one of the persistent.
I am not a "machine",
I am consistent.
I am not a "god",
I am dedicated.
I am not an "animal",
I am an athlete.
I am not "crazy",
I am just having fun.

If I keep to this philosophy, it will be a good way to stay on the path of excellence.