CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-14-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
Johnathan Hazlett

Profile:
Like to say hi and jump into the mix here.

I'm 35 5 11' 190 I'm an alcoholic and haven't had a drink in over 14month's but the daily cravings don't stop.

I can say that not drinking has only impacted my appearance in a positive manner, which brings me here.

I wake at 0215 4-5 x's a week have 2cups of coffee and try to be on the treadmill at 0300 or 0330 depending on my start time for work

I run a mile-mile and a half (at 6-7mph)then do weight training for an hour.

I've started mixing in some of the CF exercises and have realized how much of a wuss I really am.

So I guess my question is how much of the CF WOD's (exercises) do I incorporate into my gym routine, to crossover into comeplete WOD for myself?

I enjoy the hour routine before work, but the WOD circuits that I've tried get my heart-rate soaring and I suck wind big time.

I have asthma, but I take a hit off my inhaler before I start my morning jog and I'm fine.

I guess I really don't understand the routines or I'm not that familiar with how to set up a routine for myself with so many exercise to chose from, so any right direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanx Johnny...........
Old 06-15-2006, 12:16 AM   #2
Kevin King

Profile:
Johnny,

Congrats and keep it up!

When I deployed here to Iraq, I decided that my days of being a fat-butt needed to come to an end. I was 6'4" and 225 -- all flab. I started a running and lifting program as you have but got a bit bored with it. I can't say that I really liked the running as the roads around here aren't very good. I live on a big base so I can actually run outside, but the roads are loose gravel and that is murder on my ankles. Anyway... I started CF about three weeks ago for a change and decided to stick with it until at least the end of the month. I stopped all other workout routines except CF. I MAY start to add stuff in later, but more for fun/function than any need to "get more exercise." I have dropped six pounds in three weeks and am adding muscle but more importantly strength at a much faster clip than when I was on my old routine. I am down to 198.

CF WODs smoke me like a cheap cigar. I am panting and exhausted when I am done. So, if I may presume, I have a few tips, one new guy to another...

1. Just do the WODs. It is the easiest way to get started.
2. SCALE THE WODs. If you can't do a 135# thruster, don't. Do what you can for the number of reps. The idea, however, is to get a good workout in.
3. Along the same vein: if you don't know o-lifts, start very light. Something like a broom handle and get the movement down. I use an olympic bar (45# total weight) and that provides quite the workout. Even at that low weight I can tell why these lifts are significant portion of CF. I am reluctant to progress because I can't really tell if my body positioning is good. If you have an affiliate or local gym that can look at your form and coach you a bit it would be worth your time. The videos and slide shows on this site are pretty good, but nothing will substitute for in-person coaching.
4. Read these boards. Read the Journals. They are a bit spendy ($5 each for back issues) but subscribe for $25 per year. As you go through the boards, folks will refer to the various journals so you can get a feel for which ones may be important to you.
5. Don't neglect your diet. No matter what diet you are on, refined sugars are bad. Simple carbs are bad. Not bad as in, you can never have a cookie again bad, but it is all about moderation. I have not read the Zone diet yet (come on Amazon!) but will in the near future. All the diets I have seen that seem to work and have at least some support from the medical community are based on a wide variety of foods with very little simple/refined carbs, little saturated fat and lots of unprocessed foods.

Hope this is helpful and good luck!
Old 06-15-2006, 07:53 AM   #3
John Messano

Profile:
That's great advice. I agree. Also, you might want to:

- start each workout with some version of the Crossfit Warmup

- ease into the WODs, because "this stuff could kill you". gradually ramp up your intensity.

- you'll begin to recognize recurring names on the comments page. here is where you will find your motivation and competition.

Good Luck and continued success!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:08 AM   #4
David Easton

Profile:
Welcome Johnathon

If you need help scaling the WOD, www.crossfitbrandx.com is the first place to go.

Follow the links to the message board and you will find the Workout of the Day section, this is where the scaled versions can be found

Old 06-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #5
Johnathan Hazlett

Profile:
Thanx for the advice

Sounds like I will start doing Just the WOD's and see where my progress goes.

I came across the Armstrong theory and really liked the methodolgy.

My diet I'm not to concerned about right now, cause my wife gave me the best advice and let me in on a great little secret that DIETS DON"T WORK. You need to change your lifestyle, and I have.

I afford myself a treat 2-3x's a week

I try to eat every two hours at work to help with the hunger habit.

I haven't tried the Paleo, Macro, Zone, or other strict program other than trying a few supplements to help counter my ignorance of comeplete nutrition.

Thanx for the help...

Johnny......
Old 06-16-2006, 05:25 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Johnny, this whole thing works together in a big feedback loop. Nutrition and exercise are linked, as much as a pain in the butt that is, it is what it is. The exercise thing is "easy" compared to the day to day grind of nutrition. Exercise alone will not decrease bosyfat levels significantly. The first step nutritionally, is clean up your food choices: lean meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, olive oil, fish oil. Eat five times a day, roughly double your meat in carbs (one third protein, 2 thirds carbs). Add a small handful of nuts or seeds and your good. Once you have that going for a month, start to weigh and measure per the Zone (not as hard as it seems). Next step, after 4 weeks of weighting and measuring: Increase the food quality. Buy grass fed beef, wild salmon, free range chicken and turkey, fresh vegetables from farmers markets, and raw (unsalted of course) nuts. Throughout this process you should be taking 2-3 teaspoons of Carlson's fish oil a day. While your dropping body fat I would limit cheats, but when you reach your ideal weight your good to go on 3 cheat meals per week (this puts you at 90% compliance). Congratulations on kicking booze, replace that with this and your going to be one happy guy!
Old 06-16-2006, 06:30 PM   #7
Johnathan Hazlett

Profile:
I'm not sure I'm ready to be that strict Larry.

Here's my average day ( some will be repeated)

Wake at 0200-0230 have 2cups of Black coffee

Drive to the gym on the treadmill at 0300-0330

jog for 10min starting at 6mph first half then increase to 7-8 depending on the song playin on the mp3 player.

After the jog I do a push-pull rotation on the weights using a 2-3 exercise circuit for an hour or so and finsh with 300 crunches on the ab-machine. shower goto work at 0500-0530

At work is where I start to eat ( I should probably mention, that my pantry consists of 90% goods from Trader Joes)

so my first meal is 2 packets of McCanns instant irish oatmeal.(maple and brown sugar)

1-2 hours after that I have plain non-fat yogurt with fresh berries and granola.

Somewhere around here I have a baggie of nuts that are cashews,almonds, and dried cranberries.

Around 0900-1000 I have my main meal witch is usually left-overs or something frozen from traders.

Around 12-1300 I'll have a power bar(the bar varys on make and flavor) with a fresh piece of fruit.

Thats pretty much my diet, sometimes dinner is a protien shake and I'll make dinner for the kids.

If the wifes home we have a family meal but thats only once to two days a week, since we work opposite schedules.

Since dancing around the forum I plan on getting the fish oil, and coconut oil.

But as of now I am completely ignorant to the hard-core eating lifestyles such as the zone and the paleo or macro diets that you guys talk about.

Thanx...

Johnny.........

Old 06-16-2006, 11:55 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:
The 300 crunches is pretty much useless. Use a better exercise like hollow rocks (demo found in the CrossFit fag), L-seat holds, jacknives/v-ups, hanging leg raises or many other exercises. They way better/harder and will consume a lot less time.

Also, what exercises do you do in your circuit for the hour? If at all possible, you should do a metcon workout (most CrossFit workouts are metcon workouts) because that will help raise your metabolism if you want to drop fat weight. Similarly, you might want to sub in HIIT cardio instead of the regular cardio that you are doing.

Your diet looks to be pretty good actually. Although if you want real advice you'd have to get it from someone else cause I know a lot less than others on here about nutrition.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:25 PM   #9
Marie Lohan

Profile:
Hi there, I'm new to this sight and just getting back into exercise after a long lay - off. I still don't understand quite how the crossfit training works but it seems based on the type of exercises that I love. I used to be able to do pistols and weighted pullups. I want to be able to do these again plus handstand push-ups(I can't even do a handstand) and other gymnastic exercises plus good solid suats and deadlifts and snatches etc. Where do I start, any advice how to structure a workout plan?? Any advice would be gratefully received. I'm travelling around Oz and New Zealand at the moment so have to use what ever equipment I can find.
Thanks
Old 06-17-2006, 04:18 PM   #10
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Marie, welcome, and please start a new thread with your question, so replies to you don't get all mixed up with replies to Johnathan.
Thanks.