CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-19-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
Randy Roper

Profile:
Hi all,
Thought some might be interested in our SWAT PT test. We run it 4 times a year, but it's not a bad workout by itself. It has three parts:
1. 1/2 mile run: Needed: 9 cones, or markers (rocks, t-shirts, chalk) and something around 150 lbs to drag (sandbag, person, sled etc). Set up the cones at the 220 mark in a zig zag pattern 10 yds apart. leave whatever will be dragged at the 440 mark, (or at the start if you are on a running track) . THE COURSE: Run the 1/2 mile! When you get to the cones the first time, you must weave through to the outside of each one...at the 440 drag the dummy or bag or whatever backwards 10 yards...run more until you get to the cones again..this time hit the deck (chest all the way to the ground, like a burpee) beside each cone..run more until you finish. Passing time: 4:00 min..best time for our team: 2:53..move immediately to stage 2...
Stage 2: Wearing SWAT vest (backpack? }about 25-30 lbs) and carrying a rifle (or a 10 lb weight I guess) start prone..you must get up and sprint 40 yds..passing time: 7 secs...move immediately to some object where you can do pullups for
stage 3.....
Stage 3: Wearing SWAT vest with a slung rifle, hold the weight in your teeth I guess or a backpack, complete 5 dead hang pullups..you're done!
Old 01-21-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
Ryan Norman

Profile:
Might have to try that soon. The first one sounds the hardest, but Im sure the rest isnt easy after that first stage.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Cool workout...combined with the shooting WOD I came up with, would be an interesting combo.

Assuming the dummy drag is to simulate dragging an injured comrade, what SWAT cop, with all his gear, weighs in at a measely 150 pounds? I know one who MIGHT....

If simulating a citizen being dragged out of the line of fire, again, other than women and small men, who weighs 150?

Get them dragging 200+

:-)

(Message edited by TimW on January 22, 2006)
Old 01-22-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
Randy Roper

Profile:
Tim,
good point on the weight, since we are a team we rotate through our operators each quarter so sometimes you get to drag a little guy, sometimes one of the monsters. We used to use a regular track but a couple of years ago switched to a road up in the hills with some good inclines. We've also at times incorporated shooting knockdowns from the cone positions going both directions, both pistol and rifle.
Randy
Old 01-24-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
John Karpis

Profile:  
Hey Randy, I did a test almost identical to that one at a course put on by the FBI in October. They had a 4:30 time, 10 pylons 5 yards apart and two pullups instead of five, otherwise the same. We used it for our team this year and it went pretty well. For the drag we got a "rescue randy" from the F.D. and added a 40 lb X-vest and a our heavy which is close to 40 lbs. This way everyone is dragging the same. Where did you get the test? Our Human Resources dept was asking for the documentation on it and I havent heard from the FBI. Do you have anything? Thanks.}
Old 01-25-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
Randy Roper

Profile:
John, I believe we did get our test from the FBI which we modified for our team, but it's been over 10 years so I don't have the original documentation, just what is in our own SWAT manual.
Randy