CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:
2 quick questions:

1) Does anyone know of an all natural or, preferably, organic protein powder? I know there are tons of protein mixtures at GNC and such, but I'd rather have something a little more natural and less processed/created.

2) I know that there is an ideal balance of protein/carbs for before and/or after working out, but I was just wondering what that was. And if anyone has any suggestions for specific snacks those are welcome too.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
I do pure (unflavored or unsweetened) Hemp protein powder. I mix it with either water or fruit flavored unsweetened ice tea. I vary addition and sometimes none at all
cinn, nutmeg, berries, alm butter, pure van extract

Hope this helps
Old 07-10-2007, 06:32 AM   #3
Robert Doherty

Profile:
consider mixing casein protein and whey protein.

http://www.nutritionexpress.com/article+index/authors/jeff+s+volek+phd+rd+facn/s howarticle.aspx?articleid=787
Old 07-10-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
Jason Fryer

Profile:
I use Iron-Tek Essential Naturals.

http://www.iron-tek.com/essentials.html

Make sure you look at the Essential Natural 100% Protein (No yeast, wheat, gluten, preservatives, artificial flavor, artificial sweeteners or artificial color.)

I LOVE the Banana Cream flavor and Vanilla Cake goes great with oatmeal. Overall, it is the best tasting protein I've ever tried (and I've tried about 14 brands). It's also got a great blend of the various proteins so it has fast, medium, and slow digesting proteins in it. I recommend it without hesitation.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
Dana Joseph Stewart

Profile:
You may want to look into IsoPure. That is just straight, pure protein (hence the name). Nothing much added - no carbs and only 1 gram of fat also.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
Alisha Kowalewski

Profile:
Hey Ben
Do you know anything about the glycemic index? It's best to eat lower glycemic foods before a workout so that the food absorbs a little bit slower into the body giving you longer lasting energy. Maybe an apple with some peanut butter and some turkey; or some strawberries, almonds and yogurt.
After a workout, you may want to eat higher glycemic foods so that your muscles are able to take in the nutrition quickly, allowing you to recover better and faster. A banana and peanut butter smoothie with chocolate protein powder is good; or a peanut butter and honey sanwhich on whole grain bread with a side of protein. These snacks also go well with the zone. Check out glycemic index and load to learn more. Hope this helps a little.