CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-20-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
My diet has been very low in any sort of dairy recently, just 1/2 cup of cottage cheese some days, and I've been a bit concerned about getting enough calcium. I probably shouldn't worry, but I was too heavily affected by "Got milk?" when I was younger. :rofl:

Looking up some info about eggshells, it turns out that every 1000mg of eggshell yields 400mg of usable calcium carbonate, the stuff in supplements. A glass of milk has only 285mg of calcium in it. Would powdered up eggshells be a decent source of calcium?
Old 05-21-2007, 01:07 AM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
We grind our eggshells in a coffee grinder to feed our dogs and dust crickets for our leopard geckos. We feed crushed egg shells back to our chickens as well. I don't see why it wouldn't be a good source for us as well. :-)
Old 05-21-2007, 03:38 AM   #3
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Looks like a good option as a supplement. Some more info here w/f safe http://www.regardingme.com/shells-ca...ement-a-4.html The bones in canned salmon are another good source.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:48 AM   #4
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Although I dont eat dairy for years, I feel I have sufficient clacium! Just eat some sort of greens daily--kale, collards, bok choy etc!!

I chop them in the morning with some salmon or eggs and saute for a few minutes in a bit of coconut oil! Yummy! This is also a gret way to use up leftover fish. Also it seems to hold me for quite a few hours.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Veronica:
I don't have access to a coffee grinder... But I'm thinking putting some shells in a bag and using a rolling pin could get it powdery enough to mix into other foods.

Ger:
Thanks for the link. I'm not exactly menopausal, being a 17 year old male and all, but it's good info!

Sarena:
I don't eat nearly as many vegetables as I should. The convenience of fruit over vegetables, the volume you have to eat, and the fact that I am a pathetic cook, all make an apple much more appealing than six cups of broccoli (a good source of calcium). Additionally, most vegetables in my house are bought frozen anyway, so there's probably very little calcium in them.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
Leah Turner

Profile:
Let us know how the egg shells work out! I am intrigued as I never even considered that, and as disgusting as it seems to me, I am lacking calcium...
Old 05-21-2007, 08:50 PM   #7
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
I tried putting a ground up shell (probably should have done less) into my cottage cheese tonight. There was no taste difference, but there were a crunchy bits I noticed. I didn't do a very thorough job of grounding though... Just enough to see if it would work (and it did). Also, I should have microwaved the shells first to get them dry and prevent clumping.

I'll try again once I save up a few shells.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:07 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Patrick, invest in a coffee grinder - works great not only for egg shells, but also grinding flaxseed. :-)

Not sure about microwaving to dry them, we just leave them out in a small baking sheet/pan and let air dry a few days or on really low heat in the oven.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:12 AM   #9
Jordan Glasser

Profile:
Patrick, why do you think that frozen veggies would be lacking in calcium?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #10
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
I was under the impression that freezing the vegetables ruined much of the nutritional value (and flavor too). Is that wrong?