CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-19-2007, 12:36 AM   #1
Steve Gallo

Profile:
I've been doing crossfit and following the WOD's pretty strictly for a little over two months now. I've had awesome results as far as my athletic performance, and I absolutely love it so far. There's just one problem...I'm actually starting to look puffier around the mid section, and I don't know why. I've been filling out a little in my upper body, and my abs are a bit more defined, but its barely noticeable. It seems like I'm putting weight on around my midsection. on the whole, I feel like I actually might look a little worse. Especially in that area where you get love handles/pot belly. This boggles my mind since my performance has improved so much. I was already in good shape before starting crossfit, from kettlebells/wrestling, so I'm not on here to try and drop 20 pounds and low my body fat 10%, but I sure didn't expect to start looking worse either. I'm starting to think I just have a Fedor or josh barnnet body type or something :wallbash:

My diet is pretty paleo, but I don't really follow any kind of schedule or anything. the only thing I cheat on really is having some chocolate or yogurt every now and then. My diet has actually cleaned up quite a bit since starting crossfit, so I just cannot understand why this is happening. It might sound superficial, and I work out for athletic and not aesthetic purposes, but hell, no one wants to look bad. Anyone have any advice or anything? Thanks.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:45 AM   #2
Tom C Lopez

Profile:
do you record what you eat?
you might be eating more without realising because of increased effort on workouts...
Old 04-19-2007, 01:57 AM   #3
Steve Gallo

Profile:
I don't, and it could be that, but I feel like I actually eat a lot less, and I generally pick lower calorie foods now. Example, where I used to have a big bowl or two of cereal in in the morning or like two sandwiches for lunch, now I have a 3 egg+small amount of cheese omelet and maybe some sliced up chicken or steak on a bed of lettuce. It could be that, I guess it couldn't hurt to log what I eat, but then again, if I was overeating, shouldn't I be seeing muscle growth at least?

Thanks for the input, I'll give it a shot.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:50 AM   #4
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Your waist size may have increased due to additional muscle from heavy deads, squats etc. I would recommend tracking both your waits size and a skin fold pinch from that area. Then your can figure if it's fat or muscle.

If your diet is poor, i.e. lots of processed carbs then it can adversely affect your body composition. the WOD's a re short and intense so don't utilize a lot of glycogen. What is your total daily activity like now. If you have gone from long wrestling sessions to short intense WOD's your requirement for calories may actually have dropped.

Maybe record your food intake for a few days and then then post your diet here for feedback.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:15 AM   #5
Cal Jones

Profile:
Do you do anything like chew sugar free gum? Artificial sweeteners like sorbitol are dreadful for causing intestinal bloating and gas.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:00 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Ok, you have gained additional muscle due to functional exercise. Your diet is probably worse than you think. And, additional HIIT on a rower, post wod, two to three times a week should clear up any fat issues...in addition to cleaning up nutrition. log your food for a week (don't change your intake, or this is a waste of time). Analyze your weekly intake...usually the answer is right in front of you. I can't tell you how many times someone has posted: "I eat clean, but continue to gain fat..." The answer has always been in the diet...usually poor carb choices.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:23 AM   #7
Gayle Melnick

Profile:
Do you feel like it's more of a "bloated" look or is it a fat gain?

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago... feeling/looking "bloated" around the midsection, but my bodyfat was still low. I found that if I cut dairy out, the bloated look goes away.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:36 PM   #8
Steve Gallo

Profile:
Thanks for all the replies!

Now that I think about it, I do eat a lot of dairy still, and it does seem more like bloating or puffiness rather than fat gain. I don't use any artificial sweeteners, and the only processed carbs I eat are in packaged oatmeal and chocolate really.

Larry, I don't have a rower, but I can sub in high pulls, what does HIIT stand for? I couldn't find it on the faq. I will start recording what I eat today, for a week, and post it.

Cal, I don't use anything like that.

Thanks again, I'll post later on this week.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
Steve Gallo

Profile:
One more thing I didn't mention.

I have pretty erratic sleep patterns. I usually don't go to bed the same time twice in a row, and I have a really hard time getting up and going to bed on time. I usually get more than enough sleep, but its at pretty random times. I wonder if this is playing any part? I have no idea. Maybe someone would know.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #10
Brooks Beless

Profile:
I believe HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training. I could be wrong, but that is what makes the most sense to me.