CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 02-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #161
Theresa Meyer

Profile:
Re: Learn something new thread...(Come Contribute!)

You cannot use the word "myself" in a sentence unless you've already used the word "I" first. "Myself" is a reflexive pronoun; it needs something to refer back to.

Correct: I will do that myself.
Incorrect (and commonly used): Myself and Jim are going to work out.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #162
Theresa Meyer

Profile:

Bill Laimbeer, the former Detroit Piston center and "Bad Boy," played a Sleestack on Land of the Lost.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #163
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Meyer View Post
Bill Laimbeer, the former Detroit Piston center and "Bad Boy," played a Sleestack on Land of the Lost.
Sleestacks rocked.

Mick Fleetwood played an Antedean (big fish-headed alien) on Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #164
Tom Woodside

Profile:

Chevy Chase was the original drummer for Steely Dan. Though they weren't called Steely Dan at the time.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #165
Henry Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Meyer View Post
Incorrect (and commonly used): Myself and Jim are going to work out.
This example falls into a second mistake. Generally when referring to several people including yourself, you go last. This is so you don't seem arrogant or some such self centered.

So:

Correct: Jim and I are going to work out.
Incorrect: I and Jim are going to work out.

As for my previous post: I think there was some truth in there, but I seem to have been having one of those days when I shouldn't have had a keyboard... (I'm not sure today is better. For that matter I'm not sure if I've ever had a day when I should have a keyboard).
Old 02-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #166
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
I think he probably suffers from a slightly different malady; chronic *********gery. (who'd have thought that word would get enasteriskated?)

Speaking of adverbalizing, here's a bit of urban mythery:

The Coriolis Effect(WFS) is a distortion in linear motion imposed upon an inertial mass in a rotating reference frame, either real or perceived, and is most commonly known for its effect upon which way water swirls as it exists a drain or flushed toilet; counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere, clockwise in the southern.

While the Coriolis Effect is real, it is slight and only has a significant effect on very large systems, like the cyclonic movement of large air masses such as storm systems. It has almost no effect on a system as small as the water in a sink, tub, or toilet, and which way the water swirls as it exits through the drain is largely determined by imperfections in the surface of the bowl, and what motions were imposed upon the fluid before the drain was opened, such as someone stepping out of the bath or pulling dishes from the sink.

Some other common wisdom urban myths:

It's never "too cold to snow." (WFS) It's slighly less likely in very cold temperatures because it's harder for moisture in the atmosphere to form snowflakes, but given sufficient moisture it will snow. The only time it's "too cold to snow" is when it's too cold for matter to move at all; absolute zero.

A perennial worry of parents is the possibility that Halloween (WFS) candy passed out their little trick-or-treaters has been poisoned or tampered with in some way. At the height of this hysteria, a few years ago, hospitals offered free x-rays of collected candy. As far as recorded history, though, there has only been one incidence of candy tampering, and no children were seriously hurt. The only candy-related deaths were caused by family members, not strangers. Halloween candy is actually quite safe.
X-ray technologists hate exposing themselves to needless radiation. So, don't ask them to fluoroscope or take radiographs of candy. Throw it away if it looks suspicious.

The letter x in x-ray is not capitalized unless it's at the beginning of a sentence. It also doesn't stand for anything.

The nipple of the mammary gland is stimulated so it is in profile during mammography. A retracted nipple can otherwise be a sign of malignancy.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #167
Mark Janus

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn Walkley View Post
loose/lose- how does it feel to loose.

these all drive me crazy as well
far too many people think it is "should of" instead of "should have"
Old 02-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #168
Mark Martinez

Profile:

disregard

Last edited by Mark Martinez : 02-13-2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: messed up
Old 02-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #169
Tim McFarland

Profile:

The composer Arnold Schoenberg invented a technique of composition called 12-tone music. On the piano keyboard there are 12 possible notes - C, C#(also known as Db), D, D#/Eb, E, F, F#/Gb, G, G#/Ab, A, A#/Bb, B - that's 12. Schoenberg was writing atonal music, trying to come up with something that sounded completely new, and not a derivative of earlier work. He used this technique to write music where all 12 tones of the scale are used equally in any given piece. The subjective effect of this is, in my humble opinion, to create music that sounds absolutely horrible throughout. Modern composers have tended not to follow in his footsteps.

A C major chord in 12-tone notation would be 0-4-7. An F dominant 7 chord would be 4-8-0-3. Neither of these pretty sounds was ever used by Schoenberg, to my knowledge.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #170
Dave Matteson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Martinez View Post
X-ray technologists hate exposing themselves to needless radiation. So, don't ask them to fluoroscope or take radiographs of candy. Throw it away if it looks suspicious.

The letter x in x-ray is not capitalized unless it's at the beginning of a sentence. It also doesn't stand for anything.

The nipple of the mammary gland is stimulated so it is in profile during mammography. A retracted nipple can otherwise be a sign of malignancy.
Scotch tape, when peeled off a roll in a vacuum, releases x-rays.