CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-29-2015, 06:12 AM   #1
Kevin Johnson

Profile:
garage ceiling trusses and oly ring mount?

So my plan was to drill into our garage ceiling and install olympic rings...thank goodness I didn't just go out and do it right away after watching video instructions on how to do it, as they leave out a slightly important bit of info, being that if your ceiling is made with trusses, you should NOT be drilling into it! I wanted to see people's opinions on here regarding drilling into trusses. Everything I have read says you should never ever drill into trusses as they were not designed to hold loads the way joists were for people walking over top. I do not want to risk our ceiling collapsing in, so what would be our best bet?
Old 06-29-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
Kevin Johnson

Profile:
Re: garage ceiling trusses and oly ring mount?

so i just spoke with a construction worker who was working on the same model as our house (new community) and he seemed to believe it wouldnt be a problem drilling into the trusses, but i am also not sure how certain he was or if he truly understood what i was looking to do with it. anyway, if anyone here can still help itd be appreciated.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
Cooper Mitchell

Profile:

I drilled holes in my trusses and installed eyebolts and have been doing muscleups on them for about a year with no problems. This may help: http://britishbbqer.com/2012/04/03/i...ngs-in-garage/

Last edited by Cooper Mitchell : 06-29-2015 at 08:05 AM. Reason: added link
Old 06-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #4
Kevin Johnson

Profile:

that article was about drilling into joists, though, which everything says is fine to drill into. not to mention, i have no clue how he was able to fit his drill all the way through that tiny hole, unless he went up above and made the drills, in which case i dont see the need for the big holes he made when just a hole big enough for the rope to go through would suffice.

why do some ppl say no drilling into trusses when others say theyve done it?
Old 06-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #5
Christopher Morris

Profile:

I found this at http://www.selfhelpforums.com/showthread.php?t=14468 (wfs)

Quote:
As an engineer, I can tell you what the concerns of drilling holes in truss members are.

First, common practice for drilling through joists is to put the hole near the center. This is because joists(beams), commonly are loaded so that the highest compressive type stress is at the top and the highest tensile type stress is at the bottom. This means there is essentially zero stress at the middle of the beam which means if you are drilling a hole there it doesn't affect the strength much at all.

For trusses, all the members are either in full compression or full tension across the surface which essentially means the stress across the truss chords does not vary from tension to compression so there is no zero stress point in the middle. This means that if you happen to drill a hole in a truss member(chord) that is in tension, you face two possible problems. One, the cross sectional are of the truss member is reduced at a high stress point and two, you have introduced an imperfection where a failure may start.

So without knowing how exactly your truss is designed, the loading and the stress, the easy answer is to say "Don't drill holes in the truss elements".
What is above your garage? If there are upstairs bedrooms that means the garage ceiling is engineered also as a floor for the bedroom. That design will bear greater loads. If it's just roof above the garage, then it's engineered to hold up the roof only and won't need to bear loads as great. That may be an issue to do ring work.

Similar to the other example, here's what I did in my garage to hang a climbing rope from the ceiling:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2227.jpg
Views:	2157
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	13829
I found I-joists in my ceiling. This is also the floor joist for the bedroom just above.
- I sandwiched a couple pieces of plywood on either side of the I for support and added thickness. The plywood rested on the bottom lip of the I.
- I put two D-rings with large lag bolts that passed through both pieces of plywood and the I-joist (in the photo the bottom bolt was sawed off for easier access to the area). The D-rings were offset so the chain hangs diagonally across the joist, and the bolts wouldn't interfere with each other.
- I joined the ends of chain with a heavy duty top rope carabiner, rated at 25 kN or 5600 lbf. The chain connects to the carabiner on one end, passes through the D-ring, through the carabiner again, through the other D-ring, and the other end connects to the carabiner a third time.

Name:	2232.jpg
Views:	1194
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	13830

Here's what it looked like after replacing the drywall I'd cut out.

Name:	2273.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	13831

...and with the holes filled with insulation and fabric, plus drywall repair and paint.

Last edited by Christopher Morris : 06-29-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #6
Kevin Johnson

Profile:

just curious, since i have ceiling trusses, would i be better off mounting a wall pullup bar to the wall studs instead? surely they are sturdier?
Old 06-30-2015, 09:44 PM   #7
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Are you thinking of a pull-up bar that has rings hanging from it? If so, you'd want it to be as high as possible.

Something like this might work:
http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-pu...FRCEaQod8esEHQ (wfs)

but you're not going to be too far from the wall. Kipping might not be feasible.