CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
Kevin Johnson

Profile:
Has anyone built a size that looks like you lift via crossfit?

I'm not coming on here to bash crossfit, in fact I actually really like the idea of it. It is right up my alley as I feel I am always conflicting with myself as to what I want (I used to run xc/track in HS and in college began trying to do the whole bodybuilding then, then went on to do powerlifting). With that said I really like what xfit has to offer, but I am also trying to get bigger or at least look like I lift (at 5'9" I feel anything over 185 and under 12% bodyfat would look like I lift). However, I am just curious how many people on here have done crossfit solely and can say they look like they lift when wearing clothes? I ask because right now I am doing a PPL split with 5x10 volume for 5-8 exercises and feel I am on the road to getting decent size results. However, I am scared that if I were to do xfit type workouts that it would get in the way of my goal to gain size. Ultimately I'd like to do xfit stuff but not at the cost of looking small. If any of you have stories of yourself or progression pics of how your body has changed to being bigger muscularly i'd love to see them (please don't refer to froning or bailey as they are pros and respectively a bb'er could show ronnie coleman but that wouldn't be fair, i just want to see average xfitters showing results looking like they lift).
Old 06-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Has anyone built a size that looks like you lift via crossfit?

CrossFit includes many disciplines to include powerlifting. Take a look at any highly competitive CFer. They look awesome.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Johnson View Post
I'm not coming on here to bash crossfit, in fact I actually really like the idea of it. It is right up my alley as I feel I am always conflicting with myself as to what I want (I used to run xc/track in HS and in college began trying to do the whole bodybuilding then, then went on to do powerlifting). With that said I really like what xfit has to offer, but I am also trying to get bigger or at least look like I lift (at 5'9" I feel anything over 185 and under 12% bodyfat would look like I lift). However, I am just curious how many people on here have done crossfit solely and can say they look like they lift when wearing clothes? I ask because right now I am doing a PPL split with 5x10 volume for 5-8 exercises and feel I am on the road to getting decent size results. However, I am scared that if I were to do xfit type workouts that it would get in the way of my goal to gain size. Ultimately I'd like to do xfit stuff but not at the cost of looking small. If any of you have stories of yourself or progression pics of how your body has changed to being bigger muscularly i'd love to see them (please don't refer to froning or bailey as they are pros and respectively a bb'er could show ronnie coleman but that wouldn't be fair, i just want to see average xfitters showing results looking like they lift).
I understand you're not on here to "bash" CrossFit, but you've been a member of this forum since 2010, and you're just now asking this question?
you're doing a BB routine.
you want to look big - go for it - keep doing what you're doing. and mix in a couple extra thousand calories per day.
if you want to work on some GPP/conditioning, mix in some metcons, then you'l bring down that BF content.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #4
Alex Burden

Profile:

What do you want size or functionality?

If you want to get big the stick with the body building.

But if you want to be able to use what you have then go with CF.

Size and definition will come over time the more you train CF and the weights get heavier.

Sorry to say Coleman is a great guy but he has no chance with even some of the simple Wod's because of his size and inability in the conditioning.

You should not compare BB and CF as the goals are totally different.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:38 AM   #5
William Garrett

Profile:

I built size with Wendler 5/3/1, and continue to along with CF. Not a single chance in hell if I didn't run a strength program I could look like/lift what I do now.
M/35/5'10@190lbs/L1 -- Squat 420, FS 325, DL 520, Press 215, Bench 315, 5k Row 19:30
Old 06-20-2014, 03:20 AM   #6
Chris Jones

Profile:

Most people arent going to "get big" doing CrossFit alone, depending on the gyms programming, because it is so much conditioning work. If you want to "look like you lift" then stick with what youre doing now, and throw in a couple of conditioning workouts to keep bodyfat % low.

IMHO the average, everyday CrossFit dude that i see(that ONLY does CF) is pretty lean and has great conditioning, but not a ton of muscle mass and doesnt look "big" in clothes. For this reason i do a strength program along with CF.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:07 AM   #7
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

It also depends on your body type. I've been doing cf for years with a bit of extra strength lifts mixed in, and at 5'9" and 185 myself, I feel I'm a bit too big for my personal taste. But thats my genetic profile and personal opinion.
You may want to look at crossfit football, that might be a good balance for you, as it's strength biased.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Funny story: one of my wife's friends was at our house one night. I don't remember if I was just home from the gym, and in workout clothes, or just wearing something that fit well. She says, "man...you're looking rather svelte there!" or something, definitely used the word "svelte." I was like, "umm.....ok....not really the word a guy likes to be called, but thanks?" She goes, "no....doesn't it mean, like, built?" I go, "I'm pretty sure not..."

The next day, my wife sends a group text, to that woman and me, with a quote of the definition of "svelte," that basically said, "thin, implying a degree of elegance," or something like that. The woman replies, "oh, ok, then I meant to say, 'built like a brick ****house'."

Hope that gives you an idea of what CF can do....;-)
Old 06-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #9
Cam Peavy

Profile:

Keep in mind when you compare Games athletes to typical Xfitters: Games athletes do not follow Xfit programming. A huge majority of them come from athletic backgrounds, and were already "big" by the time they started Xfit.

That being said, you can "look like you lift" if you do Crossfit for a while. Will your results come faster if you follow a strict hypertrophy program? Probably. All depends on goals.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
Travis Schliesser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Peavy View Post
Keep in mind when you compare Games athletes to typical Xfitters: Games athletes do not follow Xfit programming. A huge majority of them come from athletic backgrounds, and were already "big" by the time they started Xfit.

That being said, you can "look like you lift" if you do Crossfit for a while. Will your results come faster if you follow a strict hypertrophy program? Probably. All depends on goals.

I would argue games athletes do follow crossfit programming. Just look at Invictus, outlaw, or competitors wod programming