CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
Kevin Johnson

Profile:
Elbow pain getting bad when doing any press

Okay so basically, I'm not really a crossfitter. More of a 5/3/1 just training for life type person. That said I know you guys seem to know or be on the forefront of mobility and injury recovery, so I figured I'd ask for some help here.

I've always had a little discomfort in my left elbow, but it has been really bad this week and so much so to the point that today when I went to unrack only 185 for bench it hurt a lot. So I decided to be safe and rerack the bar and call it quits on the pressing and just do tons of pulling moves.

I figure since I'm on my 3+ week it'd be best if I just skipped pressing this week, next week, and the deload week, so take 3 weeks off, then try again after that. I will say, that will be the longest time I have not done any type of pressing movement in possibly 10 years. I hate the idea of taking this time off, but I'm feeling it may be necessary for longevity purposes.

That said, is there anything I should be doing during this time off to help recover faster? I have heard about this whole voodoo floss band stuff, and it seems you can use it on elbows? I have no clue really about the stuff or how it works, but I'm willing to try about anything besides going to an actual doctor. I can also lacross ball roll my triceps and stretch of course if that matters.

As well, is icing it and using ibuprofen of any benefit? I thought I saw where that mwod guy said icing is now bad and so is ibuprofen as if you have pain that's the body's natural signal for recovery?

Anyways, just thought I'd ask for some help on this. The only thing I can figure is I don't always control my reps on bench, press, and dips and sometimes go down and up too fast. I don't exactly get why though it is only one elbow and not the other.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Elbow pain getting bad when doing any press

I think the #1 thing to do is get a diagnosis. You say you have had years of discomfort. We could tell you things to do for tendinitis but you could have something else brewing. Just my humble orthopedic opinion.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Joey Dussel

Profile:

Follow Sean's advice for sure, but just FYI I had some significant elbow issues (BJJ arm bars + lots of ****ty movement for a long time) and working with the voodoo band + doing some wrist extensor muscle strengthening made a big difference for me.

That being said, I could have a different issue than you. I didn't have years of discomfort every day, only frequently pain post workouts that had a high volume of elbow stuff.

-Joey
Old 02-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

What Sean said, especially considering lots of people have high pain thresholds. I recently felt a pop in my forearm and felt intense pain for an hour...and then I was fine, minus decreased strength. Turns out it was an almost complete biceps tendon tear. I've also had excruciating pain in other areas of my body that turned out to be nothing more than tendinitis.

Definitely get a diagnosis first, but in general, yes, ice does indeed help.