CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-13-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
Christian Hansen

Profile:
This has been talked about before but I have a slightly different take. I am losing weight at a rate of 1-2 lbs a week on Paleo/Crossfit system. I am not trying to lose weight. I started paleo at around 203 and crossfit at 195. I still have a fair bit of fat around my middle. Is my body just finding its balance point based on the new lifestyle and I shouldn't worry about it? Will I start to gain once I hit a certain point? Or do I need to force myself to eat more? I already eat more than my appetite asks for (although I'm not sure that my appetite isn't messed up from years of forcefully supressing it when I was hooked on Pizza).
Old 06-13-2005, 05:47 PM   #2
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Well I'd say that if you have fat around your middle, and you are eating a good diet (i.e. not starving yourself), your body doesn't need that fat, and will therefore probably get rid of it for you before you even out. Personally, I was always between 175 and 185 when I ate in the cafeteria at school, but as soon as I got deep into my zone diet by making food for myself, I dropped to 165 avg. You lose all those little "pockets" of fat, and get lean. You want to worry when you are so lean that you have trouble performing; that is when you want to start eating more fat in a meal.

So as long as you feel sated and in good health after your meals, and your performance does not flag, I'd say your body is telling you that you are on the right track.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:41 AM   #3
Christian Hansen

Profile:
Thanks Brendan. I'm still in the 6 week "going through the motions" phase as rx'd in Getting Started guide so I'm not pushing big weights around. Performance is definitely improving. I'll continue to let my appetite be my guide.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:51 AM   #4
Kristian Palaoro

Profile:

On a thermodynamics note, to lose one pond of body weight, you need to expend about 3500 Calories more than you intake. If you are determined to maintain your current weight before leaning out all the way, you would have to increase your intake by about 500 Calories per day. That's straight weight loss math.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:07 AM   #5
Christian Hansen

Profile:
I don't really count calories or control portions. I just try to eat alot. The problem with Paleo is that alot of broccoli and cauliflower and spinach ain't a lot of calories. I go through nuts and avacados like crazy. I don't mind leaning out, I just don't want to limit my strength gains.