CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
Luke Schollmeyer

Profile:
Does anyone have any good drills you perform with sandbags? I have a ton of problems with my lateral hip movement (shrimping under side control or half-guard) and bridging. Anyone drill these types of things with a heavy sandbag?

What about AB bands? Anyone have good drills?

I want to maximize my mat time for doing the more fine points in technique drilling or for rolling.

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #2
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Luke, welcome to CrossFit!
Zach-Evenesh and Bud Jeffries both put out some great information on this type of training. We work with sandbags quite a lot as well at CrossFit Gulf Coast.
I would highly recommend Bud Jeffries' new book called "Super Strength& Endurance for Martial Arts". I just finished it, plus spoke with Bud by phone about it as well.
I've got links for this stuff from my website, stop by when you get time.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
Roger Smith

Profile:
Put a heavy sandbag on your hips and practive hip ups with 2 and 1 leg and slight twists...

Old 03-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Exercises.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
Luke Schollmeyer

Profile:
Thanks for the responses, folks.

Frank: I've seen Bud's advertisement for the book, but didn't buy it. What I'm looking to do is emulate drills and techniques. Does this book accomplish that?

Lynne...sorry. Wasn't sure if this fit in exercises since it wasn't quite on topic for CF stuff.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:52 PM   #6
Keegan Yentsch

Profile:
Hi Luke,

Ok, drills for shrimping and bridging utilizing sandbags.

For bridging I would just suggest putting the sandbag on top of you (to simulate being mounted by an opponent), then practice bridging forward, to the right and to the left. Make sure that you are really bridging hard with as much explosive force as possible. You can also practicing the arm and leg movements while doing the exercise (to simulate trapping the opponent's head, arm and leg) and rolling completely over until you are on top of the sandbag (to simulate rolling your opponent over, thus ending in his/her guard).

As for shrimping, honestly I don't really think that sandbags are all that effective for practicing shrimping. My first suggestion would actually be to just practice the shrimping mechanics over and over without resistance. You can do this by just shrimping (you can switch sides each time, or just stick to one side for a while, then switch) across the room.

In my experience the effectiveness of a shrimp is really more dependent on getting completely on your side (which will create the space to slide your leg through to allow you to pull guard/half guard) and creating space between you and your opponent's hips using your forearm/hand.

Good training,

Keegan
Old 03-08-2006, 03:24 AM   #7
Sean Guerrant

Profile:

Luke,
There is simply no substitute for doing these exercises with a partner. Do them until you are sick of it. Then do some more. Coach's article about virtuosity from CFJ 41 (I think) comes to mind.
You can do a continous drill where he has you mounted. You execute bridge and roll to his guard. You then pass his guard to side mount (or straight to mount, depending upon which technique you use) and then he executes bridge and roll, passes, gets you in mount again. Now, shrimp to half-guard. Then full guard. Roll him with a leg sweep into mount. He does same.
Do it first 5 times each technique with light resistance and strict form. Then do it five times with some resistance. Then start and go for broke. He tries to hold you and you try to fight out of it. Call "knock it off" if you can't get out in 30 secs.
Otherwise, if no partner, Keegan has the right of it I think. Shrimping w/ a sandbag wouldn't seem to offer much help. It's the guy's legs in mount that are a problem (for shrimping) and the bag ain't got those.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:24 AM   #8
Luke Schollmeyer

Profile:
Keegan: Good stuff, brother! A tip I got from a wrestling coach (he is also an MMA fighter and was chosen for the first TUF, but dropped out due to the timing) last night is to use AB bands for shrimp. I'm going to experiment with both resistence on my hips and at my shoulders.

However, I think your shrimping comment (being completely on the side) makes perfect sense.

Sean: "There is simply no substitute for doing these exercises with a partner." Without question. I'm very careful not to get into the trap of thinking that some exercise would substitute developing that skill live. Same thing with conditioning.

Here's an interesting story. There's a grappling conditioning instructional out there called "The Lucky 13." Very likely you've heard or seen it. If you haven't, basically it's a live demonstration of a couple of guys being put through a tough mat conditioning workout. One guy does pretty well, and is obviously in good shape.

This instructional was a topic on another forum and one of the guys had rolled with the kid (the well-conditioned one)on the tape and the kid gassed several times. The point being made is that sports-specific capacity is best done by actually doing the sport.

So, I understand this concept, and I certainly don't shirk my mat time, but I also want to reserve my time with a partner to working on the finer details of techniques. I'm merely trying to develop my core and muscle memory in my off-hours.

Good exercise suggestion!

Thanks guys!
Old 03-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #9
Jay Jack

Profile:
One of my students actually came up with a good one. He took our weight pull sled and did hip outs (shrimping) up and down the mats. It was really good! I think probably more effective than a sandbag because with hip movement you're not trying to mave the person but move forcefully away from the person, and the sled addes resistance to the movement in the proper direction. Hope that may help. Jay Jack
Old 03-08-2006, 08:40 AM   #10
Luke Schollmeyer

Profile:
Jay: Another good idea.

Thanks.