CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-25-2006, 06:50 AM   #1
Jason Steele

Profile:
Anyone have any experience using Blauer's SPEAR system? I have been looking into it, but would like some first hand information if possible, or better yet an instructor would be even better (I know Jeff Martone is a SPEAR instructor as well as the Kettlebell guru)
Old 06-25-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Tony Blauer was at the CF Certification in May.
I've gotten several of his videos over the past few years. Good stuff!
Old 06-25-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
Marc Johnson

Profile:
What's his best basic self-defence tape called.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:32 AM   #4
John Todd Goodman

Profile:
Hey, new to this site, wanted to share a little bit of info with you on the SPEAR System. I've been in law enforcement for 17+ years and done martial arts for a number of years. I've been with Blauer Tactical Systems for 4 years now. The thing that sets the SPEAR System apart from other Systems or styles is the approach and teaching methodologies it takes to combat at close quarters, psychologically, emotionally and physical.

The thesis statement for the SPEAR System is this: What does the body want to do prior to any training? Does that have any combat applications? If so, what are we doing to take advantage of that? Simply put, your body is going to react a certain way to a suprise attack. It will protect your command center (the head/brain) by flinching. There are 3 general types of flinches, which are affected by proximity to the incoming threat. Meaning, we (humans) all flinch the same, but different.

The SPEAR System does NOT replace any previous training you may have, but in the reality of actual combat (not "ring", not "cage", but on the street, in an elevator, walking to your car from the mall, etc.), it will be a "bridge" to YOUR style, whatever that may be. The teaching methodologies and scientific rationale behind the whole Sytem is incredible. Like I mentioned above, I've been involved with the SPEAR System for 4 years, and I'm still learning, still refining. The really cool thing was I was better able to protect myself walking out of class the 1st day 4 years ago. Again, it takes advantage of what your bodies going to do anyway, and builds around that. That makes it virtually non-perishable.

Hope this helps,

JT Goodman

ps- the best way to learn about the System is to get to a course. If you are law enforcement or military, you can get to a SPEAR Instructor Cert. course. If you are not, there is a program available called PDR or Personal Defense Readiness. There is a lot of info available, but the best thing to do is research the website at www.tonyblauer.com.

pss- Marc, not trying to sound like an infomercial, but I have most of the tapes/now availabe in DVD, and they are all "best"!
Old 06-28-2006, 08:00 AM   #5
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Marc--
I addition to what John said
I would recommend his book "Be Your Own Body-Guard".
Old 06-28-2006, 08:36 AM   #6
John Todd Goodman

Profile:
...and there is a DVD that you can get with that. It has a lot of info and and you can see how the System got to where it is today!!! Good point Frank. Thanks for mentioning that.

JT Goodman
Old 06-28-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
Marc Johnson

Profile:
Thank you