CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:27 PM   #1
Jason Berger

Profile:

Does anyone else think Sonny Chiba's martial arts look really awkward on-screen? I searched for his background and he was an aspring Olympic gymnast who trained kyokushin karate under Mas Oyama himself. With these credentials, I'd expect him to look at least half as graceful as Bruce Lee. Or more graceful than me.

The reason I looked him up online was to see if he was even a martial artist. His kicks lack snap, he doesn't roll his hips over, sometimes he hops off-balance after a kick. All I can think is that he's trying really hard not to make contact with the other actors.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:57 PM   #2
Kawika Harbottle

Profile:
lol I never took martial arts movies that seriously...and good martial arts are not that pretty and graceful- as the case with many of Bruce Lee's real fights.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:30 AM   #3
Paul Moldovean

Profile:  
Wanna see a real talanted martial artist?

Rent:
Ong Bak - The thai warrior.

The guy is amazing, better than jackie or li in my opinion his name is Tony Jaa check it out.}}
Old 09-08-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
David Hirsh

Profile:

I don't know much about Sonny's karate, but his movies were fun. They were intended to be more "street" and less "mystical" martial arts; sort of a precursor to the grappling surge that the Gracies marketed so well. You have to remember that in the early 70's when these films were made, the predominant martial arts film wasn't the Golden Harvest/Bruce Lee genre, but rather the so-called Hong Kong chop-socky films that retold over and over again the story of the "good triad vs. the bad triad." So Chiba's films were meant to be a streetwise Japanese antidote to the chop-socky flood.

All for what it's worth of course.