CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #1
Steve Shafley

Profile:
She's 2 years old, starting one of those motor skill development type of classes at Gym Jesters, in Saginaw, MI. Gym Jesters has been around since 1963 or so, and has a very large facility (about the size of 3 gymnasiums).

Lots of equipment, including ~6-7 sets of rings and a climbing rope. I could probably have a lot of fun there too.

She jumped on the trampoline, somersaults, she did backflips while suspended from a belt, and she swung back and forth on some rings before dropping into a foam square filled pit. She really liked swinging from the rings and the belt.

She had a blast. I had lots of fun too, chasing her around.

It's interesting: 99% of the parents who take their children to these classes are the mothers (or grandmothers). I sometimes unnerve them with my presence, and, unfortunately, sometimes the wee ones are a bit nervous around me as well, but they usually warm up to me quicker than the mothers, who often seem to have the attitude that this is their domain, and that I am some kind of interloper. That usually goes away after they get used to me as well.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:59 PM   #2
Christopher Sommer

Profile:

Sounds like a fine program. The trampoline & suspended belt work will be especially helpful for your little one. My own youngest daughter, now 2 years old, learned to bounce on tramp before she could walk. (Yes, I know, I have never figured that one out either.)

Add in lots of hanging, swinging and climbing along with a little support work and you have many ingredients that will have a very postive impact on her future physical and mental development.

Don't worry about skills or progressions at this age, just have fun and let nature take its course. My oldest daughter, now 4 years old, was never interested in formal training. No interest in listening to an instructor and wanted nothing at all do to with any kind of structured practice. She just wanted to run around and have a good time. Yet recently she decided she was wanted to train with the "big girls" and has been on a little developmental team for the last three weeks and having a wonderful time. Suddenly my little wild child is listening, waiting in line, following directions, practicing skills over & over . . . it's a little bit like the twilight zone. My biggest problem now is trying to get her out of the gym.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

OlympicBodies@aol.com
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/
Old 09-07-2005, 01:42 PM   #3
Lee Graves

Profile:
Last year I took the parent & tot gymnastics class with my son...and yes, I was the only guy there...got the same vibe from the moms in the class...he also just wanted to run around and have fun...especially did not want to listen...

This year he is 3.5 and he will be taking the Tiny Tot class which introduces the different apparatus (and without the parent)...hopefully he will do well...

I have not decided whether we should sign up our 2 year old daughter...for the parent & tot class...it is a lot of work...LOL

The classes are at www.cartwheelsacademy.com
Old 09-07-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
Pat Janes

Profile:

Well, my experiences with my son's gymnastics has been exactly the same.

I'm consistently the only dad there. And Lachlan (8) isn't interested in taking it seriously either. He's in a recreational class and just got invited to join the Level 0 MAG group, but he doesn't want anything to do with it; he just wants to have fun.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:23 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I wouldn't worry about the mommies with attitudes. I like seeing dad's participating in their children's activities. Before you know it they'll be all grown up and you would have missed out on watching them develop and grow. They'll eventually not want you to be hanging around, but they'll remember those special times when you did. :happy:
Old 09-07-2005, 11:20 PM   #6
Stephen Solano

Profile:
Well said, Veronica.

My boys love gymnastics. Since they're pretty much the only two guys in class, they seem to get special treatment.

I am sort of jealous.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:36 PM   #7
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
I think the Mom's got a kick out of me playing on all of the equipment with my daughter. I got the evil eye from my wife a few times, but the kid and I were having fun!