CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
James Mitchell
Member James Mitchell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago  IL
Posts: 1
plyo boxes

After attempting to build a set of plyo boxes that go up to 50in I have pretty much given up on using them. I just cant seem to make them stable enough for me to feel safe, as they shake and wobble just even the slightest ammount. Why the focus on much smaller boxes like 24in doesn't any company make larger ones. I see you can get a 24 in from rouge and buy 4 in risers but to get 52 in worth would cost $655( rip off)!!! any ideas about a cheaper way to get a set?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Ian Nigh
Affiliate Ian Nigh is offline
 
Ian Nigh's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kensington  MD
Posts: 948
Re: plyo boxes

I built some like this with 18mm plywood, (dimensions are 71x62x52cm) can be used for three different jump heights. There are some instruction on how to make them somewhere on this forum.

Last edited by Ian Nigh : 12-03-2010 at 04:17 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Ian Nigh
Affiliate Ian Nigh is offline
 
Ian Nigh's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kensington  MD
Posts: 948
Re: plyo boxes

Sorry, the pic didn't post. here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1554.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	7289  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
Aaron Cawley
Member Aaron Cawley is offline
 
Aaron Cawley's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin  TX
Posts: 110
Re: plyo boxes

i built these. they stacked nicely and are pretty solid. i built a 10", a 14", a 20" and a 24". that gives me alot of possible heights. i got the plans somewhere on this site, but would be willing to share them with whoever wants them. pictured are a 20" and a 24" box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	7290  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0152.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	7291  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0153.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	7292  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
James Darden
Member James Darden is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Redondo Beach  CA
Posts: 23
Re: plyo boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mitchell View Post
After attempting to build a set of plyo boxes that go up to 50in I have pretty much given up on using them. I just cant seem to make them stable enough for me to feel safe, as they shake and wobble just even the slightest ammount. Why the focus on much smaller boxes like 24in doesn't any company make larger ones. I see you can get a 24 in from rouge and buy 4 in risers but to get 52 in worth would cost $655( rip off)!!! any ideas about a cheaper way to get a set?
since the tapered ones are more stable, if you can get a picture of the plans of say a 24" tapered box, then project it on the wall and move the projector to where it yields a 50" box, you now have a set of plans for it. You'll probably need a couple 4x8 sheets of plywood to make it. You'd probably also need a circular saw to make the rough cuts about an inch or two outside the lines then use a radial arm or table saw to clean it up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
James White
Member James White is offline
 
James White's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Jacksonville  FL
Posts: 560
Re: plyo boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Cawley View Post
i built these. they stacked nicely and are pretty solid. i built a 10", a 14", a 20" and a 24". that gives me alot of possible heights. i got the plans somewhere on this site, but would be willing to share them with whoever wants them. pictured are a 20" and a 24" box.
Those are SICK! Very nice.
__________________
"Courage is not the lack of fear. It is acting in spite of it." ~ Mark Twain
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham
Member Lincoln Brigham is offline
 
Lincoln Brigham's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kirkland  WA
Posts: 3,987
Re: plyo boxes

Quote:
here it is:
Ian, I know this is after the fact, but you should have made the top piece an inch and a half wider to fit on top of the sides. In your configuration when someone lands on the top the weight is being supported by the screws alone. You'll need to add extra internal bracing or otherwise someday someone is going to punch right through.

Last edited by Lincoln Brigham : 12-04-2010 at 11:48 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
James White
Member James White is offline
 
James White's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Jacksonville  FL
Posts: 560
Re: plyo boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Ian, I know this is after the fact, but you should have made the top piece an inch and a half wider to fit on top of the sides. In your configuration when someone lands on the top the weight is being supported by the screws alone. You'll need to add extra internal bracing or otherwise someday someone is going to punch right through.
Good call. Couldn't he also just add a larger platform on top of the existing top that extends to the very edges? Seems like that would be a cheap, easy fix.
__________________
"Courage is not the lack of fear. It is acting in spite of it." ~ Mark Twain
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:53 AM   #9
Josh Wright
Member Josh Wright is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Myers  FL
Posts: 83
Re: plyo boxes

As to stability on taller boxes-figure out some way to make them such that you can load 2-3 plates in the bottom to anchor them. 90-135 lbs in the base ought to make a huge difference in stability.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Portable plyo boxes?? Allan Luomala Equipment 6 11-15-2011 05:25 AM
Plyo Boxes Aaron Owens Equipment 2 04-15-2010 01:52 PM
Plyo Boxes for sale Brett Miller Equipment 4 09-23-2009 01:04 PM
Plyo Boxes Jay Soto Equipment 14 05-25-2007 11:40 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.