CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:
Digital Coaching Services

Like on here, but through your business/affiliate...it seems like a decent way to bring in extra revenue. From a marketing standpoint, it would at least get someone's attention. I know I've never heard of anyone offering d.c. services around here. What would be a fair price to charge for that?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
Daniel Freedman

Profile:
Re: Digital Coaching Services

I think there may actually be an unexploited market niche here.

Digital coaching could work for those who can't get to an affiliate often, but want a bit more than the free "self-service" available on this site. It would work best if the trainer met the client in person at least once to kick things off. (BTW, a lot of high end, graduate level, distance learning courses now work this way: there is a mandatory residency requirement on campus at the beginning and end of the course...everything else is done online.)

When Stew Smith coached me to prepare for The SEAL Adventure Challenge,
I met him once as part of a small group class of 3 or 4 hours. (Can't remember how much this was -- but not much.) He then e-mailed weekly spreadsheets with customized workouts. I returned the spreadsheets, having added my times and comments. We'd chat on the phone once a week. On that basis, Stew would prepare the next week's workouts. ( I didn't send back video, since this was pre-YouTube.) A 12-week program cost $250, which I thought was a bargain.

I think the personal, hands-on initial contact is important to establish goals and rapport, and to assess fitness. If you can create a "virtual cohort" of students, that would be even better. It might work this way:

- gather 3-5 students for a clinic/seminar that lasts a few hours

- this becomes your class. The class subsequently gets group and/or individual assignments. You might even divide into teams for some tasks.

- the class has its own yahoo group. You might also do live chats and/or telephone conference calls

Pricing:
Maybe $75 for the clinic and $250 for the 12 week course, or $250 if they sign up for both. So some might just sign up for the clinic. At the clinic you can say: "the clinic is on me; I'll give you back your $75 clinic fee if you sign up now for the course. Just pay me $175 instead of $250."

Just thinking out loud here....you might want to play with the numbers. BTW, this could work well for students who have access to a campus gym, but don't have much money and aren't that near to an affiliate.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #3
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Freedman View Post
I think there may actually be an unexploited market niche here.

Digital coaching could work for those who can't get to an affiliate often, but want a bit more than the free "self-service" available on this site. It would work best if the trainer met the client in person at least once to kick things off. (BTW, a lot of high end, graduate level, distance learning courses now work this way: there is a mandatory residency requirement on campus at the beginning and end of the course...everything else is done online.)

When Stew Smith coached me to prepare for The SEAL Adventure Challenge,
I met him once as part of a small group class of 3 or 4 hours. (Can't remember how much this was -- but not much.) He then e-mailed weekly spreadsheets with customized workouts. I returned the spreadsheets, having added my times and comments. We'd chat on the phone once a week. On that basis, Stew would prepare the next week's workouts. ( I didn't send back video, since this was pre-YouTube.) A 12-week program cost $250, which I thought was a bargain.

I think the personal, hands-on initial contact is important to establish goals and rapport, and to assess fitness. If you can create a "virtual cohort" of students, that would be even better. It might work this way:

- gather 3-5 students for a clinic/seminar that lasts a few hours

- this becomes your class. The class subsequently gets group and/or individual assignments. You might even divide into teams for some tasks.

- the class has its own yahoo group. You might also do live chats and/or telephone conference calls

Pricing:
Maybe $75 for the clinic and $250 for the 12 week course, or $250 if they sign up for both. So some might just sign up for the clinic. At the clinic you can say: "the clinic is on me; I'll give you back your $75 clinic fee if you sign up now for the course. Just pay me $175 instead of $250."

Just thinking out loud here....you might want to play with the numbers. BTW, this could work well for students who have access to a campus gym, but don't have much money and aren't that near to an affiliate.
I think you have some very good ideas here, bro.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
Daniel Freedman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarasevich View Post
I think you have some very good ideas here, bro.
I used to work in distance education for PBS online.

BTW, I recently discussed online coaching with fellow members of a running mailing list. I insisted that an initial f2f meeting was essential. Others disagreed....including both online coaches and trainees. They said online coaching was a form of intermediate personalization, ranking somewhere between reading a book or bulletin board at one extreme....and in-person, personal training on the other.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

I would think if at all possible, that at least one f2f meeting should occur. If its totally out of the question, than I could deal with it. That's cool that you have some personal experience with this. So it is a viable option?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
Daniel Freedman

Profile:

Will it work? No clue. You don't know until you try.

The major challenge, as always, would be finding clients. Maybe there are a couple of buddies somewhere doing CrossFit on their own who want to move up to the next level (eg. do WODs as prescribed) but need help on technique.

Okay, that's two clients. If you can find another two (by saying your first clinic is at X time on Y day) you have your first clinic and your first class of four. Maybe try a one month class your first time out.

I wouldn't get hung up on software tools and a dedicated website. Just use Yahoo Chat and Yahoo groups.

But here's the big takeaway from other forms online learning. You need structure and accountability. Courses need definite start and end dates. That way everyone sticks together, completes assignments, and finishes the course. So there should be no "rolling enrollment." If you miss the enrollment window, you have to wait for the next class. (But, eventually, there's no reason you can't have multiple classes going at once.)

If you can get students to commit to an in-person visit at the start and end of the course, so much the better. They could do a benchmark workout on both visits. Maybe the student (or team) with the best percentage improvement wins bragging rights -- or a discount for future training.

Finally, you should make clear exactly what is included. (How much online chat? Any limit on emails? How many phone calls?) There is a real danger of this becoming a runaway project in which you end up working for 78 cents an hour!

Last edited by Daniel Freedman; 11-20-2007 at 05:43 PM..
Old 11-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Freedman View Post
Will it work? No clue. You don't know until you try.

The major challenge, as always, would be finding clients. Maybe there are a couple of buddies somewhere doing CrossFit on their own who want to move up to the next level (eg. do WODs as prescribed) but need help on technique.

Okay, that's two clients. If you can find another two (by saying your first clinic is at X time on Y day) you have your first clinic and your first class of four. Maybe try a one month class your first time out.

I wouldn't get hung up on software tools and a dedicated website. Just use Yahoo Chat and Yahoo groups.

But here's the big takeaway from other forms online learning. You need structure and accountability. Courses need definite start and end dates. That way everyone sticks together, completes assignments, and finishes the course. So there should be no "rolling enrollment." If you miss the enrollment window, you have to wait for the next class. (But, eventually, there's no reason you can't have multiple classes going at once.)

If you can get students to commit to an in-person visit at the start and end of the course, so much the better. They could do a benchmark workout on both visits. Maybe the student (or team) with the best percentage improvement wins bragging rights -- or a discount for future training.

Finally, you should make clear exactly what is included. (How much online chat? Any limit on emails? How many phone calls?) There is a real danger of this becoming a runaway project in which you end up working for 78 cents an hour!
Damn dude, you got some interesting points there.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:37 PM   #8
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

I personally don't see the value. We have access to multiple high level coaches who review the videos in the digital coaching section ... for free.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post
I personally don't see the value. We have access to multiple high level coaches who review the videos in the digital coaching section ... for free.
That's kinda the way I'm looking at it too. I liked entertaining the thought though. Besides, the R.O.I. wouldn't make it worth it in my opinion.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
Daniel Freedman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post
True. But the people who post videos here are comfortable sharing them with the world. There may be many others who are too self conscious to do so.

And not every newbie can assess the credentials of those offering critiques...or make sense of conflicting critiques.

A relationship that begins in a rapport-building f2f encounter and continues online in a private group would be quite different from what's offered here. Which is not to say it makes economic sense for trainers, given other revenue opportunities.