CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-19-2005, 01:39 PM   #1
Scott Kustes

Profile:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/condi....ap/index.html

I guess it's inevitable when the American Diabetes Assoc is advocating a diet high in grains, much like the last FGP. Discuss...
http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-an...oodpyramid.jsp
Old 07-20-2005, 05:45 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Quote:
...But weight is a problem for this whole family of bookworms who hate exercise so much that Stevans calls it "torture."

"It's painfully hard," she says of her daughter's co-battles with diabetes and weight.
I guess you could call her daughter's battles "torture"? Cases like these which are significantly based on laziness are all too common... it's sad that the victims are so unwilling to adapt their lifestyles.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:15 AM   #3
John Walsh

Profile:
I was struck by the same quote as you Ben. Exercise is “torture”? OK how about play? 11 year olds should be playing not following some industrialized exercise routine. It says a lot when kids think play is a form of “torture” via exercise. Good gravy!
Old 07-20-2005, 06:35 AM   #4
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Yeah, I noticed that as well. Kids follow the parent's lead...unfortunately, many parents do not exercise, which leads the kids to mimic the couch potato activity.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:04 AM   #5
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Also, I looked at the diabetic food pyramid - is it different in any way from the original food pyramid? It looked the same to me... from the lumping of fats and oils with sweets and candies to the 6+ servings of bread per day...
Old 07-20-2005, 08:36 AM   #6
Ron Nelson

Profile:
A family of bookworms with diabetes.

As an English teacher, I'll say it again:
"Reading will kill you."
Old 07-20-2005, 09:15 AM   #7
Troy Archie

Profile:
I don't get it, why do they give out such bad diet advice all the time, what's behind this? I could understand it if they flipped the grains section with the fruits/veggies section but this constant barrage of eating grains until you are one has got to go. The amount of processed crap in grain based foods and cereals today is not the least bit healthy.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:26 PM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
These folks need to hang out in a hospital with a person who has either a BKA (below knee amputation) or BBKA (bilateral below knee amputation) due to hyperinsulinsm. Torture? That is funny....dying in a hospital bed and spending decades of your life rotting away from the inside...hmmmm...if the government rounded up people, fed them a bad diet, kept them imobile, made them watch Jerry Springer all day and whittled away their apendages as they became gangrenus it would be considered torture. Since we do it to ourselves it is the American Way. Kreiki!!
Robb
Old 07-20-2005, 01:15 PM   #9
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
Wait a minute, I thught making someone listen too Christina Aguilera was torture?:lol: I don't know for sure I always mute the TV and watch her videos but I read somewhere that it was torture.

Jeremy