CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #1
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I'm going to start the OLAD/CF combo tomorrow and I have a few questions:
1. For the OLAD CF mix there are three lift days per week, thus 3 lifts. I was wondering what the best lifts would be? I was thinking either a PRESS(push press, military, jerk)/SQUAT(back, front [because of breaking my wrist a few years ago Im not able to perform OHS', least not with more than 45 pounds (bar)])/DEADLIFT(regular, sumo, cleans) }combination, or a push/leg/pull combination?
2. for the fourth week of every period when I rest from the OLAD program, what should I do in regards to the WOD? should I do them with the 3/1 schedual, should I do them every weekday of the rest week? Should I not do any WOD during that rest week and just focus on skills that I haven't been working on for the previous 3 weeks?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Wanted to clarify something... I can't full snatch or OHS, but I can power snatch as long as my grip is narrow enough so that it doesn't put too much stress on my wrist (on my cheapo play it again sports bar, it's with my thumbs and pointers around the <1 inch section that has no knurling seperating the two large sections that do have knurling, I'm not the best at describing what I see sometimes, sorry)
Old 05-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
Andrew Steeves

Profile:  
Josh, Looks good. Dividing the lifts into press,squat and deadlift looks right on. I'd probably start with a push press, front squat and regular DL.

Not sure about the fourth week but I'd definately scale down the WOD as well. Sometimes it's hard to pull back, especially when you're making progress but in the end it's better to take scheduled time off than unplanned due to injury or burnout.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:41 PM   #4
Kevin Scott

Profile:
I would say at least scale the WOD to at least half the normal work. The WOD is intense and would actually be just as likely to burn you out as the lifting program. See how it goes. For some people taking off the 4th week completely is better but if your a top athlete and your lifts are very high and your metabolic conditioning is high you could theoretically start declining within a week but I'm talking top shape. If you not ready for the olympics than i'm sure you'll be fine taking a week off every 4 to 5 weeks.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:32 PM   #5
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Ok, I've figured out how I'm organizing this. The first four weeks will be push press/squat/deadlift, the second will be jerk/overhead squat/clean, the third will be military press/front squat/power snatch. I won't be able to get too much weight on the OHS just yet because of my wrist, but I figure, if it's not doing damage to my wrist, it's just going to have to be a pain I work through. I think it's just a flexibility issue anyway (I had surgery on the wrist to fix the break).

Anyway, I have a couple more questions; what supplementary exercises should I perform (if any) after my lifts, and what set/rep scheme? I was thinking maybe some core work and then cool down with stretching but I wanna know what y'all think.

Also, I want to work towards a better time on my mile and two mile runs/sprints by simply running them whenever I should (work first on my one mile to get used to running again), would it be better to run a mile after my met-con stuff, or after my lifting workouts? Thanks!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
Andrew Steeves

Profile:  
Josh, for working towards the mile and two mile times. I wouldn't directly work on mile runs. Instead I'd focus on 400s, adding some 200s. Not only will this carryover to the longer distances I'm sure you'll see some good body comp results as well. The occassional mile would be okay but I wouldn't make it the focus of the running.

Just some thoughts.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:03 PM   #7
Dan John

Profile:

What does OLAD mean?
Old 05-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #8
Joseph Hart

Profile:
HA HA.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:42 PM   #9
Josh Brehm

Profile:
LOL, nice Dan. BTW, thanks a ton for creating this routine, it's plain awesome! Any tips you can give me would be great!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:12 PM   #10
Dan John

Profile:

Actually, on the webpage we must not name, there are some resources. Email me and I will send you some links.

dj84123@yahoo.com

Now, I didn't invent it and I am up front about that. I did invent the squat, the push up and the pull up, though.

It is, by far, one of the most interesting ways to really discover everything an exercise can offer...