CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
Jason Naubur

Profile:
Why are Sweet Potatoes good on the Zone?

I always saw Sweet Potatoes in the unfavorable category, but lately more and more people eat them post WOD. Robb Wolf mentioned in his blog about Sweet Potato mash, Apple sauce, cinnamon as eaten post WOD by James Fitzgerald (OPT).

Is this not against the 'zone' as described by Dr. Sears?

Jason

PS, I like them so I will try eating them - is 1/5 cup of mashed SP 1 block?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Why are Sweet Potatoes good on the Zone?

CF definetely tinkers with the strict Dr. Sears Zone. For example, CF suggests using the zone to get down to your desired leanness, but then when you are lean enough AND your performance starts to suffer, then you should 2x the fat.

I think wolf has suggested trying to eat a bigger percentage of your carbs post-wod, and/or replacing some of your carbs with fats. It is up to you to determine if this helps you or not. The post-wod carb idea is think is where eating the sweet potatoes comes in. Sweet potatoes supposedly have a lower gi then regular potatotoes. So they are more zone friendly.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
Oliver Gould

Profile:

In the Zone's ongoing efforts to starve people, it's managed to declare a bunch of vegetables "bad." Sweet Potatoes are considered a problem in the Zone because they make it harder to trick your body into thinking it's not hungry.

Rob Wolff recommends eating them post WOD because the hyper-intensity of CF WODs depletes your muscle's stores. There's a bunch of research that suggests that people don't get the same insulin spikes when they eat simpler carbs immediately after they work out. Some people see increased energy or performance from doing this. Honestly though, I think they might see REALLY increased energy and performance if they just ate enough food. No offense to Rob meant here,, his prescriptions for zone modifications involve plenty of extra calories for most CFers.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
James Compora

Profile:

Exactly what oliver said, if your going to eat from the unfavorable side on zone. You should do it Post Workout
Old 11-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
Lorenzo Inglese

Profile:

Sweet potatoes get a lot of love on the Paleo end of things. Lots of people will complain it's hard to get enough blocks of carbs just using greens and fruits...that's where a more dense carb source like SPs comes in.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Oliver Gould

Profile:

I love sweet potatoes. It's not the only change I've made, but I'm leaner and stronger since I've been eating more "unfavorable" (per the Zone) foods like sweet Potatoes, carrots and bananas. The only time I think it's important to avoid them is shortly before a Metcon workout.