CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Rusty S. Mirasol

Profile:
CFF 20# med ball review

Hello all, I'm not sure if there is a similar thread out there but I wanted to offer my feed back on the Christian's Fitness Factory 20# medicine ball.

At our facility the 20# dynamax med ball gets used for wall ball, med ball cleans, & squat depth...everything else such as, throws, med ball situps, Hoover ball, slams, etc. are done with lighter dynamax balls or sand filled basketballs (slams).

Here's the comparo (CCF vs. Dynamax)

First off, the value can't be touched, for the same price of a 20# dynamax you can almost get 3 CFF med balls, this is huge as an affilliate owner.

The CFF ball is smaller in diameter and slightly harder than the Dynamax. The CFF ball also does not have that abrasive lacing. I thought that the hardness and small diameter would be an issue, but the smaller diameter is actually better for a squat depth for those under 5'7" (or so) as it actually makes you go past parallel. The hardness is really not an issue either as it does have some forgiveness, but in my opinion, if you can't keep a 20# med ball (dynamax, CCF, or any other) away from your face or keep from jamming a finger, you should not be using a 20# ball. Med ball cleans are uneffected. The durability of the CFF ball has yet to be determined as I've only had it for a few days, although replacing it would not be as painful as replacing our other med balls.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
Mike Gin

Profile:
Re: CFF 20# med ball review

I bought the 20# CFF med ball also - I have a 15# Title ball too. I prefer the surface of the Title ball better - it is not as slippery and does have one set of threads on it. I had forgotten how much I had paid for the Title ball and thought the CFF ball was a great deal. Then I found my receipt from Amazon where I got the Title ball. You can get the 20# Title ball for just about $2 more shipped. I think Title manufactures the ball for CFF but the surfaces are definitely different. One is manufactured in China, the other in India. Personally, I would recommend the Title over the CFF ball for the surface (think of matte finiish vs. gloss finish). But both are outstanding values no question. I will just scuff up my CFF ball and throw some chalk on it.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty S. Mirasol View Post
if you can't keep a 20# med ball (dynamax, CCF, or any other) away from your face or keep from jamming a finger, you should not be using a 20# ball.
I would call that "motivation"
Old 07-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
Somsack Phanthavong

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gin View Post
I bought the 20# CFF med ball also - I have a 15# Title ball too. I prefer the surface of the Title ball better - it is not as slippery and does have one set of threads on it. I had forgotten how much I had paid for the Title ball and thought the CFF ball was a great deal. Then I found my receipt from Amazon where I got the Title ball. You can get the 20# Title ball for just about $2 more shipped. I think Title manufactures the ball for CFF but the surfaces are definitely different. One is manufactured in China, the other in India. Personally, I would recommend the Title over the CFF ball for the surface (think of matte finiish vs. gloss finish). But both are outstanding values no question. I will just scuff up my CFF ball and throw some chalk on it.
I just received the Title 20# med ball and like it better than the CFF 20# med ball. The Title med ball is bigger and has laces. I paid $39 for the Title and $34 for the CFF. Shipping was about $15.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
Noah Alkinburgh

Profile:

There is a difference between the "original" Title balls and the CFF balls, however all the Title balls will be exactly like the CFF balls they were made together for both companies. The ones that people are receiving now from Title are the last of China made balls.

The new balls are made in India and are a higher quality ball. The stitching is triple stitched vs double stitched in the original. Also the surface difference is mainly from a coating put on the ball to protect the synthetic leather. Its like cosmoline on machinery when it is shipped. It will wear off with use, sweat, and dirt.

We appreciate the feedback!

Noah