CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-16-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
Max Seid

Profile:
I read in a recent Mens Health magazine that it doesnt matter what time of the day you work out as long as you are consistent with the timing. Being a college student its hard for me to hit the gym at the same time everyday. Does anyone have any input on whether this is true? Is morning better than night or does it really not matter?
Old 10-16-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Do they say why the timing should be consistent? It would seem like varying the times you work out would be more in line with the "randomness" of CrossFit.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Question. Do you think it's better to miss a workout so that you workout the same time every day or do you just suck it up and train whenever?

Pretty simple answer, train when you can!

Personally I train early mornings, lunchtimes, evenings or whenever i get the chance 1-3 times a day if i can too.

Certainly it can be better to do certain types of training at different times of the day though. I hat eto do heavy or technical lifting before about 10am but i'm fine with endurance stuff as early as 6am.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
Yael Grauer

Profile:
I found that if I train too late at night I just stay up forever...BUT I can lift more later in the day. Metcon seems about the same no matter when.

(Message edited by treelizard on October 16, 2006)
Old 10-16-2006, 08:11 PM   #5
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
Max, Men's Health magazines is not an exemplar of efficacious fitness information. Not as bad as Flex but not great either. Their messages boards are a little better. You're doing the right thing by double-checking what you read in MH in this forum...
Old 10-16-2006, 08:41 PM   #6
John Tuitele

Profile:
At 49, my joints are pretty stiff (I call it "stoved up") in the mornings, so I prefer 11:30AM before lunch or 5:30 PM before supper as my ideal times, and even then I really benefit from a good warmup routine. I've tweaked my neck, upper back with simple jogging first thing in the morning. I attribute it to the need to work the joints and drive out the stasis from sleeping. And a lifetime of either abusing my body or thinking endurance training was the answer.

After about a dozen pops and snaps, and then a decent warmup before a workout, I'm clear to hit it hard. I do find that the MetCon workouts go a long way to keep the stiffness from turning into a problem.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:36 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I train when I feel I have the most energy....that way I will give 110% to the workout and get better results. For me that is anytime after noon as I am not a morning person and most likely will never be.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:01 AM   #8
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Max,
Men's Health and magazines like muscle and fiction are not places I would get my fitness info.

Working out is better than not! Possibly all things being equal your results may be more consistent/predictable if you worked out at the same time everyday, same tempearature, same location, same music, same people, same equipment, I could go on.

If you are flexible about things like workout times, locations and equipment or lack of same, you will more likely be able to train when other won't (they have excuses). "Gee dude missed my workout window from 8-10 this morning. I can't workout now, let's have a beer and watch dancing with the stars"

Ever since I was young my joints felt better when I worked out in the evening, but, it does not work with the rest of my life. I work out when I can you should to.

I will put in one caveat. I have heard that you should not train things like heavy deadlifts first thing in the morning esp 30-60 minutes after waking due to the more full/hydrated condition of the disk material after being unloaded all night. "They" say it makes them more susceptable to injury/rupture.

(Message edited by vcraig on October 17, 2006)
Old 10-17-2006, 07:48 AM   #9
Martin Schap

Profile:
I find it hard to believe that varying the time of day you work out would register any noticeable difference in almost any athlete. Granted, there are times of day I feel more "up" and ready to work out, but there are also countless times when I didn't feel that great and then set a new PR in something. The bottom line is, I think there are too many variables for anyone to make the claim that one time of day is better than another, or that getting in at the same time will make a measurable difference.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:12 AM   #10
Dave Campbell

Profile:
I find around 10-11 am works best for me. I'm 42 and have no problem working out early, but I have 3 kids in school and it's tough to be done with my workout before it's time to get them ready. I'm a professor and have more leeway than most for my workout. I like 10-11 because I'm still pretty energized and when I finish I can eat lunch. If I wait till the afternoon, I feel sluggish and if I go too late in the evening, I end up staying up later. So maybe there is a best time per individual, but it probably doesn't really matter from a fitness point of view.