CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 06-12-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
Dai Nakano

Profile:
Tokyo Japan?

I've been following the crossfit forum for awhile and just started doing some of the crossfit workouts and am really getting into them.

Looking for crossfitters who live in the Tokyo area, it'd be great to have buddies to work out with on weekends. I just started out so I have alot of work to do.

If anyone else living in Japan has their own crossfit gym setup at home, it'd be great if you could share tips on where you got your equipment from or where's a good place to work out at (parks, public gyms, etc.)

Dai
Old 06-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Daniel Mick

Profile:
Re: Tokyo Japan?

Hey Dai,

I CF in Gifu. My gym works fairly well for CF because it has free weights but there are some exercises I can't do well because of the setup or them being too strange. You know anything not 'normal' is frowned upon ちょっと。。。, especially by the old people in the gym.

My only real advice is to find a gym with free weights and a good pullup bar (not the angled shoulder-destroying ones so popular here). That covers 90%+ of the WODs. It's easy to make substitutions for most other things.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
Dai Nakano

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Mick View Post
Hey Dai,

I CF in Gifu. My gym works fairly well for CF because it has free weights but there are some exercises I can't do well because of the setup or them being too strange. You know anything not 'normal' is frowned upon ちょっと。。。, especially by the old people in the gym.

My only real advice is to find a gym with free weights and a good pullup bar (not the angled shoulder-destroying ones so popular here). That covers 90%+ of the WODs. It's easy to make substitutions for most other things.
Hey Daniel,

Was going to message you but you beat me to it. I guess I lucked out because the old people at my gym seem pretty interested in my workouts, I've noticed some of them secretly copying of the exercises I've done. So far the 'instructors' haven't bothered me so I'm good for now.

Where did you get kettlebells and did you have a hard time finding a gym that had rowing machines? None of the gyms I've been to have them. I was thinking of buying one but they are really pricey.

Dai
Old 06-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I'm glad I saw this thread as I have a friend who just moved to Japan and was getting into lifting and CrossFit before departing the U.S. He's somewhere in Tokyo.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:48 AM   #5
Daniel Mick

Profile:

If you have a barbell and weights, dumbbells, a pullup bar, and a few other items you can do or sub pretty much anything CF throws at you.

I just sub dumbbells for kettleballs. Not a huge difference. My gym has dumbbells up to 27.5kg.

No rowing machine but I don't see it come up often in my WODs (I'm working a year in delay). Even if it does there are plenty of cardio subs as discussed all over the board.

My gym has medicine balls up to 5kg, so I either double wallballs or sub with dumbbells. No rings either so I sub with weighted dips.

(There is only one barbell at my gym though and EVERY day I have to suffer through the same guys doing bench press, as they do every day... I especially can't stand the guy who does 3inch benches with like 140kg. More power to anyone using the barbell correctly! But damn all the fools hogging it for their "glory". (>_<) )
Old 06-10-2010, 06:06 AM   #6
Michael L Schaal

Profile:

www.ChikaraCrossFit.com (wfs) is now in Tokyo! Check the website for upcoming class schedules and get togethers.