CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 12-30-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
Jeremy Stecker

Profile:
Ufc 79

Surprised there hasn't been a thread started already talking about it. Any thoughts?

I started out rooting for Hughes but was really impressed by St. Pierre. He's quite the monster - and I liked what he said at the end about the belt.

And it was pretty interesting how the first few fights had some knuckleheads with unsportsmanlike attitudes. You don't see it quite that bad that often in the UFC.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Matt Thacker

Profile:
Re: Ufc 79

I hope they can put a lid on the unsportsmanlike conduct b.s. UFC doesnt need WWF antics.

Enjoyed the show overall.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
Spencer Provow

Profile:

st. pierre was amazing i was for hughes at the start but dang total respect for both... I thought silva would work chuck but i was wrong again
Old 12-31-2007, 05:45 AM   #4
Francisco Galarce Morales

Profile:

Wanderlei wasn't really in it.. in the second round he knocked chuck down and I thought he would start a barrage of g&p but he let him stand up.. ..

chuck fought a good fight but you could see he knew he was in over his head... he did two takedowns... I never saw chuck do a takedown... and he kept the distance almost the entire fight... he fought a tactical good fight.. kuddos for that...

and gsp is a hero... loved the was he dominated hughes... I really don't like hughes.. arrogant guy... ever since tuf season 2 I hoped he would lose... and last season he was a complete ***hole...
Old 12-31-2007, 08:58 AM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:

It's pretty amazing to see the arc of Hughes' career over the years. The way he's gone from being a hugely popular fighter, to getting booed when he makes his entrance is amazing. I have to say, I was definitely rooting for GSP and was pleased to see how much of a different level of a fighter he looked compared to Hughes. It was also interesting how the broadcasting team was essentially announcing Hughes' impending retirement even though he didn't! UFC dropping a hint? lol!

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 12-31-2007, 09:35 AM   #6
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Stecker View Post
And it was pretty interesting how the first few fights had some knuckleheads with unsportsmanlike attitudes. You don't see it quite that bad that often in the UFC.
I thought it was a little bizarre that Guillard was trying to pick a fight with Clementi after Clementi just kicked his butt. Guillard's obviously not a rocket scientist.

For his part, Clementi has publicly apologized to any viewers who felt he might have crossed the line.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 12-31-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
Jeremy Stecker

Profile:

In Matt Hughes defense on being a jerk on the ultimate fighter, I think a lot of that stems from the fact that he's an awful coach. It seemed to me that a lot of his what he knows has come pretty natural to him so its difficult for him to teach. He hasn't had to learn a lot of things step by step like other 'better' coaches so he struggles to teach them to newbies. And when he does, he looks like a jerk.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
Francisco Galarce Morales

Profile:

it's not that much that he is a bad coach... but every time one of his lost he didn't gave them the light of day and was mad with them.. if you look at serra.. he went to the opposite fighter if they lost and told them to keep their heads up and that they'll make it... if one of his lost he congratulated the winner and gave emotional support to his fighters... serra wanted his fighter to do their best and give it their all... hughes wanted them to win... huge difference...

and in season two... the one challenge where one guy goes round the other guy (ep 6 if I'm correct) he's acting like an *** and let's his guy tire out to showboat.. while he was giving rashad evens a rough time for showboating in a fight... guy is hypocritacal...

(explanation sucks.. because my english sucks.. sorry )
Old 12-31-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
Juan Cantu

Profile:

Personally. Wanderli didnt do anything. He didnt show any tenacity as he usually does. If he did, personally, Chuck may have lost it, considering Wanderli wasnt doing much and Chuck didnt look all that great.

As for Hughes & GSP ... well .... GSP is probably one of the most natural gifted person for MMA that I have ever seen. Simply amazing for his age for the skill level he has.

But, I have and always will like Hughes, though this fight and his past few .... he doesnt look like he's really there to win. Yea, if you step in there you WANT to win, but he doesnt look like he's actually trying. Compared to his much previous fights. He may just be out of it, and not 'driven' or 'hungry'. Probably could care less .... dont know.

But I have no idea why people would really boo him. He's always been semi-humble, and a good sport about everything ... I have a few friends who think he's an ***, but I dont think that at all ...maybe because I wrestled for such a long time, i understand his mentality/though process better.

Thats my over extended 2 cent.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:26 PM   #10
Josh Goguen

Profile:

This was definitely one of the better cards.

GSP was amazing. Chuck vs Wandy, almost lived up to my expectations and it was fun to watch Chuck shoot for takedowns.

I would have liked for a couple of the under card fights to have switched places with the Eddie Sanchez vs. Sao Palelei fight.

I felt pretty good about paying for this one.