CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-20-2005, 09:11 AM   #1
Christian Eric Montano

Profile:

Been doing X-fit for about2 years mixed with submission Grappling. I can't say enough good things about x-fit, it's members and founders!!
I'm always asked how I train and I direct them all to x-fit.

Now I am requesting your valuable assistance. I sustained a right shoulder injury at Grapplers Quest last weekend and have limited ROM ( head height) and some strength loss. Got MRI on Thur but wont get reaults until tomorrow. I'm bummed ouy because I had just bought power rings and video used them a few times, loved them and set some goals. This injury will setback not only my Jiu Jitsu , but X-fit assss well. I had peaked for Quest and was in good shape with 8-9% bodyfat, I can't let it slide to much.

Most x-fit workouts combine upper and lower body which I like, but can't use much upper body for now. Can anybody give me some ideas for WOD's with mostly legs and maybe light uper body. I can't do push ups but can hold the up position.

Friday,I tried Tabata Squats and used a light band around table leg and on the upward movement of the sqt I would row. It felt like a decent movemnt.
Yesterday I went on 30 minute Interval run. Any ideas will be appreciated and I will post the MRI results tomorrow. Apologies for being long winded.

P.S. I'm also going to Physical Therapy a few times just to get some ideas then I will do it on my own.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
Ian Holmes

Profile:
What exactly is it that is wrong with your shoulder? Are you being not told not to do anything with it? Or have you simply lost strength and range of motion?

Yet other exercises... sprints, frog squats, squats...
Old 11-20-2005, 11:00 AM   #3
Christian Eric Montano

Profile:

It is a suspected labral tear, can move arm and rom increases every day. Will know definitely by tomorrow.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Let us know.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:13 PM   #5
Jonathan Kessler

Profile:
Christian,
As a BJJ player and crossfitter who has dealt with a share of injuries, I can relate to your saying "I can't let it slide to much."
HOWEVER...
That one statement has probably cost me more training time than any other. It takes tremendous discipline to really wait until your body is ready, then start training. "can't let it slide has led, at least for me, to pushing too hard too early, leading to setbacks that cost me in terms of longer before I can train (and consequently "more slide").
Your mileage may vary, but I would say, be disciplined about this rather than driven by fear of slippage. Sometimes a bit slower and more certain does indeed win the recovery race.
JK
Old 11-20-2005, 01:34 PM   #6
Christian Eric Montano

Profile:

I appreciate your words of wisdom my friend.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:38 PM   #7
Rob McBee

Profile:
Hey Christian,

Sorry to hear about the injury and here's to a quick recovery. Stick to your nutrition program more than ever. It will only help recovery and prevent you from getting too out of condition. Nutrition is an element thats always something you can control. Take care...