CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-03-2004, 09:29 AM   #1
Stephane Rochet

Profile:  
There is nothing more frustrating than being injured. Suppose you had to get in shape for boot camp or a competition that was six weeks away but you had an injured ankle or knee so that you could not put weight on that body part. What would you do? Love to hear some thoughts on this.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:42 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Stephane,
I'd heard you'd done something like jump off a tall building without a parachute. Hope it's nothing too serious.

When I blew out my Achilles, I did a lot of chinups and worked on doing pistols with my good leg.

Linc
Old 09-03-2004, 10:41 AM   #3
Matt McManmon

Profile:

I've been dealing with injury issues all summer. I tore cartiledge in my ribs.Currently, i am dealing simultaneously with a hamstring sprain and recovering from an appendectomy. You just have to make the most out of what you can do. With a knee injury especially thats going to eliminate most weightlifting and conditioning exercises available.

I would suggest doing alot of work on paralettes and pull ups. You can manipulate the rest periods to give you some wind while also gaining strength. I actually gained alot of upperbody strength during the first two weeks of my knee injury. I was still maintaining the 3 on 1 off, and sometimes doing the parralette work 2x a day. Also i did alot of hand strength work, with COC grippers primarily.

One thing i focused on alot was my L-sits and i got my maximum hold time up to 1minute. I would like to get to 3minute crossfit standard.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:49 AM   #4
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Stephane,

Here's part of an e-mail I sent to one of our members that was essentially asking the same question you are. Although it was in regards to a leg injury, I feel the 3 principles could be applied to any limb injury. At points, it reiterates what Lincoln and Matt have already said, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Here it is:

"IMO, with an injured leg there are three approaches that can be adopted with
regards to training (this is in addition to whatever rehab protocols you're
following which, IMO should be given top priority). I don't believe any of these
approaches should be adopted at the exclusion of others. In other words, you may
want to adopt one approach for one workout and a different one for the next.
Here they are:

1. Work both legs together within the limitations of the injury. In the early
part of the recovery this may mean very reduced work (i.e. partial range air
squats). As your leg heals, ROM, load and workout duration can increase.

2. Work the healthy leg with full intensity. One legged deadlifts, pistols, etc.
I read about a study that showed that exercising a non-injured limb actually
helped maintain muscle mass/bone density in the injured limb even though it
wasn't being directly exercised.

3. Ignore your leg and focus on weaknesses on other areas. In other words,
become a gymnast, for a while at least. Can you do a muscle up? I still can't. A
leg injury provides you with the oppurtunity to focus on pull-ups, dips,
possibly HSPUs and other great upper body movements. Various holds on
parallettes and/or rings could be another possibility (i.e. planche, lever, iron
cross, maltese falcon, etc.).

Your idea of one-legged C2 work sounds fine to me, although I've never tried it.
I did do one-legged aerodyne work, however. It disrupts the rythm slightly but
still allowed for a decent workout.

I sympathize with the frustration you're feeling from your injury-related
limitations and hope you have a speedy recovery. If you have any other
questions, I'd be happy to help to the best of my ability."

Hope you have a quick recovery,

Ryan
Old 09-03-2004, 03:11 PM   #5
Ed Velasco

Profile:
My son is a very competitive high school wrestler and we faced the same dilemma,a severe sprain to his dominant knee. Our approach was identical to Ryan's advice. We attacked the other 3/4ths of the body with vengeance. Upper body strength work and pistols were a given.We also worked on some skills that were lacking and made good progress on HSPU's and ring dips. Since this occured about 8 weeks prior to last years HS season our biggest concern was not allowing the metabolic conditioning gained in the off season to wither. We wanted to keep his engine powerful and his gas tank big. Variations of the high rep bench-pullup workout similar to the one WOD done in the last week did a great job on the upper body. He ran in the pool primarily to help the range of motion and this helped the hip flexors and extensors as well. He did the air-dyne one legged until he could pressure the injured limb and then went 2 legged. Our air dyne is about23 years old and he soon went to intervals on it. In my career on the local running and in line skate racing scene I felt that the conditioning gained on the air dyne carried over reasonably well. When Jess could pressure the injured knee we moved to lunges which became weighted then air squats and wall ball. Also did some "tarzan swims " in the pool. Re-habbed well for 6 weeks with no live wrestling, came back strong and was district champ as a 9th grader. Firm believer in going slow and taking baby steps on the progression. Until Jess could do one level with no pain I would not let him go forward. His shot is now better than ever. An opposing coach stated he was faster than a ferret on amphetamines and he now cherishes his gift of quickness and works to improve it rather than use it as a substitute for sloppy technique .Go slow and steady with the rehab, work the rest of the body hard and heal properly the first time rather than allowing an injury to become chronic.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:32 PM   #6
Rick Worthington

Profile:

Having recovered from 3 ACL reconstructions and numerous arthroscopic surgeries to my knees...Ed's philosophy of attacking the healthy 3/4 of the body is on the mark. You will be suprised how much this will help your injury recovery while maintaing a high a level of metabolic fitness.
I do have to say, I was a big fan of the bike in high school for rehab. When I got to college I used the rower with one leg and gradually built up to using both legs - I think the rower was far superior to the bike.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:54 PM   #7
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I just gotta ask, Rick, how you blew out your ACLs 3 times?! All the same knee?

Just the thought of going through the recovery three times is horrifying. :uhoh:
Old 09-03-2004, 11:35 PM   #8
Rick Worthington

Profile:

Carrie - my first ACL was done on my right knee in 91 with a hamstring tendon. My second happened on the same exact day a year later - to my other knee. Same surgery - hamstring tendon. My last one was done in 95 on my right knee again - this time with a patelar (sp) tendon. All three occured wrestling - the first two in high school, the last one in college - which terminated my career. While the rehab sucked, it taught me alot about myself, physiology and exercise. I'm probably not 100% at this point in my life - 10 years in military did some damage - but I'm still very active and manage to wrestle with the kids I coach on a fairly daily basis. My knees have never felt as good as they have since starting Crossfit last year.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:18 AM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

One minor addition to the outstanding advice above:

In-pool work is great for many parts of the rehab.

Assuming your injury allows it, running in deep water (or just plain swimming hard) can keep up a moderate-to-high level of fitness across a number of parameters (metabolic conditioning, flexibility, some degree of absolute strength), all without putting significant weight load on the injured part.

Years ago, I adopted swimming as my primary workout for almost 1-1/2 years as I was coming back from a nasty set pf twisting/spiral fractures in my leg . . . and while I probably wasn't in as good all-around shape as CrossFit creates, I wasn't bad. (Of course, I was 24 years old, too, which didn't hurt.)

Amusingly, the proper form in the freestyle stroke involves pulling down the length of the body (from overhead) at just about the midline . . . a year of doing that hard and consistently made me an outstanding rope climber.

Dave
Old 09-04-2004, 02:08 PM   #10
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Ugh, that just gives me the shivers, Rick. I'm 6 months out from ACL reconstruction (hamstring tendon) and while I'm doing fairly well (thanks at least in part to CF), I don't ever want to do this again.