CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-21-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I just found out I have Femoroacetabular Impingement in my hips. Has anybody else had this?

http://www.sfjointcenter.com/article...e_fai_2006.htm
Old 09-22-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/surfacehippy/

Kevin:

Join the group I hyperlinked above, post and ask them for advice and their experience with this. It's the best possible source of information since it includes patients and doctors.

I had bilateral hip osteoarthritis and now have two resurfaced hips. My doctor told me it was due to congenital impingement (probably due to growing too quickly). Because it wasn't obvious until the cartilage had worn away, it was too late for an intervention for me.

It sounds like you have a similar (or even identical) condition but at an earlier stage of deterioration. You should make sure that the procedure your doctor is pushing will take care of the problem and does not risk too many complications. The Yahoo group I posted can help on this.

You should also never get a total hip replacement, no matter what some experienced surgeon tells you. Hip resurfacing, which has been done for years in Europe and was just FDA approved (we are often decades behind the Europeans on medical technology due to fear of litigation), would allow you to continue with Crossfit and contact sports, whereas THR will not. I'm happy to inform you more if you do eventually need a hip resurfacing, but I hope they've caught it in time to prevent that for you.

I've told my kids to get xrays at 25 years old to try to detect OA early. Right now it's not screened for and yet there are increasing numbers of ways to treat it early.

Keep me posted. I was helped to get a great solution for me and I feel a duty to reciprocate.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Thanks Elliot, it sounds very promising should be back in action quick.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Hey Elliot,

After the resurfacing can you jump/run/squat?
Also did you have cam or pincer impingement or both?

The dr said the arthritis is not so bad he just needs to grind off the cam, the pincer, and some other goodies then fix the torn labrum. He said we will perforate the area and I might be able to grow some new cartilage but the arthritis is not so bad.

I saw a thing online that this is common in rodeo riders ha ha all I can think of is maybe all the mountain biking I did.

(Message edited by kmckay on September 22, 2006)

(Message edited by kmckay on September 22, 2006)
Old 09-23-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Yes, post-resurfacing, I am allowed to do almost everything except marathon running. My squatting is getting better than I can ever remember in my life since I no longer have a physical obstacle to it. It still takes time, though, to offset all the years where I had reduced range of motion.

Jumping is fine too. I'm not sure about playing basketball every day but I play ice hockey 3x per week and have had numerous collisions without problem. My doctor even cleared me to play competitive checking hockey (must think I'm in the NHL or something).

I don't know exactly what I had. It was at the edge of the hip joint and affected me when my leg went backwards to full extension.

Yes, microfractures can produce some new cartilage. It's supposed to only last for a few years if it's still subject to wear and tear. There's a doctor in Colorado (Dr. Philippon) who is known for this. Operates on NHL goalies, that sort of thing.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. If, God forbid, it doesn't work out. Just remember never to get a total hip replacement. Go for a resurfacing. I don't even think about my hip most of the time.

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Thats awsome to hear I guess this is the source of allot of back stabilty problems I have had.

Thanks for the info
Old 09-23-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I don't know about stability but it definitely was aggravating my back due to a locked up pelvis.