CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-23-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
Justin H Haynes

Profile:
I'm impressed with crossfit and the level of discourse on these forums. Thanks for that. I will try to be cohesive here, but may ramble a little. Please bear with me.

I am 32 years old, 6'0" 175 pounds, and in reasonable shape. In my opinion, I have a bigger than average problem with symmetry in exercize and movement in general for quite a while that I'm addressing, and I'd appreciate some feedback.

Main problem now is that my left leg is stronger than my right and I have a habit of using my left more. I've compensated in other ways in my back, hip and shoulders as well. I'm not going to try to describe all that - videos are more descriptive, and I'll be posting more on WOD to get some practical help and offer help wherever I can.

When I was 3, my parents noticed I turned my right foot in when I ran, and I had orthopedic shoes for a while. I had almost fatal staff infection that started in my right leg when I was 5 before someone figured out what it was, and had to stay off my right leg for a while. I had asthma and I was pretty sedentary anyways. I pulled a hip flexor (or something) in my right leg when I was 16 or 17 after I took up running, and continued pulling it at different times later, including 2 years ago when I was training for my first triathlon ( it was fun. ).

I did some weight training at a pretty gym with pretty people for a while on and off over the years.

Basically I'm somebody who didn't grow up athletic and is getting a physical education later in my life. So there are lots of lessons for me to learn along the way. I think many athletes growing up absorbed so much and never needed to really talk about it, so that if I were to ask, they can't always tell me. If you already have a body that does everything you want, and you forgot how you go t there, then it can be hard to tell someone what to do when they ask. Also your body has its own learning that doesn't have much to do with thought anyway.

Anyways, the crossfit definition of fitness really seems to address everything I want. The goals are clear, and not based on appearance, but on capabilies. That's a welcome change from most gyms.

My right hip flexor is still always a little sore, but becomes less sore and stronger the more I do these workouts. Sometimes it feels like I'm missing a muscle somewhere in my right hip, but as more strength comes there, it is starting to feel more like my left leg in how I can move it/ range of motion etc.

I don't have any real solid question other than a request for any kind of feedback.

Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Is the physical range of motion the same in both legs?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
Joe Celso

Profile:
Justin - I dislocated my hip once and the reduction surgery really put a hurting on me. I suffered a lot of atrophy on that leg. To get back in balance I did A LOT of lunges (always one extra with the bad leg) and very slow, deliberately straight squats. Had I known then what I know now, I'd have done more sprinting, dumbbell OHS, split squats and sumo walked. Seems like pushup & rows (aka manmakers?) or roving pushups would be a good idea too.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:22 PM   #4
Justin H Haynes

Profile:
I've always had less range of motion in my right. My legs are generally very flexible, except with movements that involve moving my right leg behind me, or to the right and slightly behind, etc. I tend to take up the slack with my hips and left leg.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:38 PM   #5
Justin H Haynes

Profile:
Thanks, Joe. That's really good to hear. Just doing those lunges recently seemed to do some good for me. I'll make sure I really pay attention to that form next time I do those (today actually, since I haven't done WOD yet!) I'll look into those others.

So, about overhead squats - had you noticed changes in your upper body after the reduction surgery? How did these work out for you? I haven't done any OHS yet.

I had only mentioned my right leg, but my right shoulder is also an issue. In high school, I was only about 90 pounds as a freshman (15 years old), and carried a sousaphone on my left shoulder (27 pounds) while I was growing a lot. I grew 6 inches over that year. I didn't do anything weight bearing to even that out then or since really.

My left shoulder is in a good position, but at rest, if my left and right shoulders appear even fromt the front, and then you look at my back, you'll see my left shoulderblade is level, and my right is jutting out at the bottom. If I rotate it back so that my left shoulderblade is even, my right shoulder is way higher than my left.

Since crossfit, I can pull that shoulder down to level without hurting myself, but there is a lot of tension there.

So OHS looks challenging to me, because it targets *everything* as far as bearing weight from top to bottom through all the joints and muscles. How did that feel after the surgery?

All this to say, I'm really eager to experience a body that is symmetrical in form and function, and I'd like to get there without hurting myself.

I just got my camera charger replaced, so you can be sure I'll be taking video of some of these exercizes for myself, and to post.

thanks.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:42 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
do single leg and single arm based exercises and the body can balance itself back again. Use dummbells, lunges, pistols, stepups, etc.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:58 PM   #7
Laurie Bowler

Profile:
One interesting thing to try, use 2 scales, hopefully they read the same or you are familiar with their differences in their readouts, and squat with one foot on each scale. (or push-up or...) and have someone watch what the numbers say. You'll quickly see any lean and have a tool for equalling out bilateral movements.

Laurie
Old 09-24-2006, 04:51 AM   #8
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Justin,
Just a note to say that the appropriate place to post your videos will be in the Digital Coaching section.

The daily WOD comments isn't the place for extended discussion; it's intended for posting results of the workouts.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:33 AM   #9
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Justin,
For the next few years I would suggest specializing / emphasizing single limb movements.
lunges

pistols

single leg deadlifts

step ups to bench

split legged squats with back leg on bench (bulgarian split squats to some)

single arm snatches & clean and jerks

bench press with a single dumbell

Always start with your weak side and do only as many reps with your strong side as you do with weak.

Do some double limb ie. pullups etc., just specialize in single limb
Old 09-24-2006, 06:46 AM   #10
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I asked about the range of motion in the hips because I had the same thing and could not resovle. Just recently found out I have femoroacetabular impingement. I guess it is common but rarely identified and can throw everything out of wak. I always thought it was soft tissue so if it does not get resolved keep it in mind. Good luck.

(Message edited by kmckay on September 24, 2006)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf femoroacetabular.pdf (323.9 KB, 232 views)