CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-24-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
David Feuer

Profile:  
Tuesday I was doing a warmup of squats,dips and pullups. 3rd set in, my right bicep gave out on the 4th pull up. I have only been doing the kipping pullups for 3 weeks and was a steady deadhang 10, and kipping of 15 and just started getting the from down. I dont know what it was, but it forced me to kill the rest of my upper body workout.

My only guess is that the fast pace of kipping and the fact that I'm 205lbs might have something to do with it. Luckily though I went to the gym last night and started to ease back into things and just went through alot of motions and got really warmed up. Its feeling about 60% but now I'm afraid to do the pullups. Any words of why this happend and what I could do to avoid this. Thanks alot.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:55 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Can you be a little more specific on the gave out? Fatigue, Pain, etc.?
Old 06-26-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
David Feuer

Profile:  
Something snapped or tore. It felt like I got shot right on the bottom part of my bicep. No black and blue or signifigant swelling, just inabliity to lift, not even curl 10 pounds
Old 06-27-2006, 07:54 AM   #4
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
have you ever injured your elbow/bicep before in any way? I am not liking the sound of this you probably better get it checked out.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
David Feuer

Profile:  
Thanks for the responses Jeremiah!

No I have never injured the bicep like this before. The accident happend a week ago to the day. Today I feel about 90% in the arm and only had the inability to move it or lift anything for the first 48 hours. It's steadily getting back to normal, I'm just baffled on how this happend and with that exercise. I have been gradually working it out and tonight plan on getting a good warm up and seeing how far i can go.

I'm more curious to know if Kipping is a cause of injuries like this, or was it just my time to have something go wrong. I have never been injured like this in 4 years of training.

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2006, 02:32 PM   #6
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
ok I misunderstood a little. I am not sure what happened or if kipping had anything to do with it.