CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-20-2006, 06:16 AM   #1
Tyler Fainstat

Profile:
Hello-

I have been an avide crossfitter for 4 months now, and I generally eat a very good diet, but my weakness is still that I love alcohol- wine, whiskey, beer mmmmm. My question is as follows, really how bad is alcohol for you in reaching your crossfit goals? While I have no doubt that there are some negative effects, if I am wokring out 6 days/week, and eating very well, how much will a few beers now and then interfere with achieving quite a high level of overall fitness?

thanks in advance,

tyler
Old 10-20-2006, 07:37 AM   #2
Nick Cruz

Profile:
While I cant provide you with any scientific evidence either way, I can tell you what I have personally witnessed.

Im in the same boat as you with a generally good diet but with a penchant for good spirits. I found that you really must cut the consumption down quite a bit. I used to drink a handle of Makers Mark every 2 weeks by myself. When I started Crossfitting I cut weekday drinking out completely. Now I drink on weekends and I try to limit how much I drink to a few drinks per weekend night. Some weekends I will even forgoe the drinks all together. Occasionally, on a week night I might have a glass of wine or a glass of whiskey but that is rare. Ive been crossfitting since the end of June and Ive lost 20# and I look a feel great. I really like to endulge in drinking but I like the results that I have seen since starting even more. I treat alcohol more as a treat than something I really need. I miss being able to eat and drink and much as I liked but the results speak for themselves!

Hope that helps.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I think you're looking for "alcohol absolution"! I know that alcohol acts differently from other carbs in encouraging fat formation but if you truly are going to have only a few beers now and then, I don't see it making much of a difference.

In fact, there is growing evidence that red wine is healthy for you and prevents heart disease and alzheimer's. We should keep in mind that many of the longest-lived populations (e.g, French and Asians) are not gung-ho, Crossfit types.

I do CF and other intense physical activities because I like to (it's a pleasure, even if a painful one at times) but I don't believe that if a moderate amount of exercise is good for you, a huge amount of exercise is better. I like to point out that the first marathoner dropped dead, which is why his run is commemorated through the marathon.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
Damon Stewart

Profile:
If it turns out that the occasional New Castle ale negatively impacts my athletic performance...I don't want to know. In my experience one drink in the evening doesn't impact my times but two does (BW 163).
Old 10-20-2006, 08:09 AM   #5
Tyler Fainstat

Profile:
I think you are right Elliot, I am looking for 'alcohol absolution'. I have found that if you look hard enough you can always find some 'expert' who will tell you what you want to hear to rationalize your lifestyle. Like the concept of 'cheat days'.

Thanks for the feedback

Old 10-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Guiness is goodness from heaven....If it takes 3 years off my lifespan then I'll make the trade to live a little now.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:05 PM   #7
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Tyler,

I've found that reduced alcohol consumption resulted in reduced bodyfat and increased performance.

I've also found diminishing returns from increased alcohol consumption--typically, one beer is just as good as three.

As you might notice, performance is a greater motivator for me than alcohol--shaving a minute off my "Fran" time feels infinitely better than being drunk. This certainly isn't the case for everyone, or even most people.

If you like it, drink the stuff. Cutting down from a handle every two weeks to a two beers a week is certainly admirable. When you've reached a balance between performance and leisure that makes you happy, stick with it.

Just recognize the difference between acceptance and correctness. Alcohol affects perfomance! Anyone who tells you otherwise is living in denial.

Best,

Jon
Old 10-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
Tyler Fainstat

Profile:
Jon-

Nice post bro. I appreciate the advice and think that you are probably correct.

tchau ty
Old 10-20-2006, 05:22 PM   #9
Ross Hunt

Profile:
A lot of people have found that a couple beers will make your 500m row time drop.

I don't recommend using this approach when you're doing mulitple intervals, though.

Or, for that matter, when you're in a boat. That's just bad news. Unless it's a really big boat.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:40 PM   #10
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Somewhere in the past answers to my questions about diet on the boards someone, wish I could remember who so I could say thanks, told me the following:

"Think of what you eat/drink as enhancing or detracting from your performance."

It has taken a while but I've taken that to heart. I stopped all alcohol coz it is just damned hard work to get fit and then waste all that effort by having a few. Once you're at the level of fitness you want to be then I guess its a different story.