CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-30-2006, 01:30 AM   #1
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
I need some ideas for healthy sancks. Working in a hospital it's so easy to eat crap for snacks. People bring us food all the time and I'm not talking fruit! I work 3 days for 12 hours. So I don't have a lot of time at night to make stuff. I don't care if they are store bought. I just can't seen to find what I'm looking for. Just looking for ideas. Right now I've been doing a lot of PB&J on gram crackers.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:15 AM   #2
Alicia Michel

Profile:
i think i kinda know what you mean jennifer. most of my time is spent in the library... everyone around me snacks on chocolates and chips and keep offering them to me! lots of times it feels so much easier to get a pack of those and snack on them rather than boil some chicken breast or something tedious like that.

what i've been doing is snacking on almonds, walnuts and sunflower seeds. after realising i might've been consuming too much of those, i subbed chopped carrots for them (baby carrots are more expensive). beef jerky might be good too?
Old 09-30-2006, 04:08 AM   #3
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
jennifer--my sister and i work similar schedules. being at the hospital, she fights the same battle as you, with people bringing in junck food all the time. one of my standbys is jerky. if you can find os-trim ostrich jerky, it comes individually wrapped and, for those hectic days, is worth the price.
if you have refrigeration, string cheese, deli turkey/ham/roast beef roll ups. i also steam veggies and pack them in small containers and eat them cold.
good luck. i know it is tough.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:06 AM   #4
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Knowing that ladies often no not like some things, I mention: nuts, dried foods, canned fish/meat if you like that sort of thing. Cooking ahead can work for snacking. Hard boil some eggs, steam some veggies, cook some burger. If you have a microwave at work you can pop your stuff in and have a nice hot healthy snack. Sometimes I take eggs to work and nuke them in a butter lined container. Takes about 3 minutes total and you have a meal. How about yogurt? Cottage cheese? Any kind of cheese? Lil' smokies? Even raw veggies like beans, spinach, etc. can be nuked in mininmal time. Throw in some canned olives and you have a warm tasty and healthy snack. Anything is better than the garbage people bring in commonly for others to munch. I swear it seems that those who have become in poor health from eating like that just bring that stuff in for others to eat so they can have company in misery.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:58 AM   #5
Max Seid

Profile:
I'm always on the run between classes, so I never have the time to prepare snacks. With this said I always have Zone bars with me. Great snack with the perfect 40-30-30 ratio of carbs, protein and fats (get the chocolate almond raison).
Old 09-30-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
Great ideas! Thanks for the input. Now I have some fresh stuff to work with.
jen
Old 09-30-2006, 09:04 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Jar of Almond butter...and a spoon.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:15 AM   #8
Allison Barns

Profile:
Canned sardines are good and portable. Depending on the people you work with, they may even guarantee nobody steals your snack :msn-wink: